Possible Timing Problem

smoke03

What would cause my SSS to jump timing? Ive had the battery checked and the alternator is brand new. When i start my truck it rolls over slowly and sometimes is hard to start. Im thinking that the timing may be off. My check engine light is on because of faulty 02 sensors. Ive got a new set on the way. Could the check engine light be retarding the timing of the truck? I think it was doing this before the sensors went out. As soon as the new 02's get here im going to put them in and see if that fixes the problem. Am i thinking correctly or is it something other than the timing?

Thanks guys

Smoke03

the battery is good i had it checked at autozone and again i think it was doin this before the CES light came on....

I still say its the battery especially if original, I wouldn't trust Auto Zones test. Test the battery yourself......put a multi-meter on it and check the volts while someone attempts to start the truck, if it dips below 12.2-12.0 volts while cranking, the battery is no good, it should be sitting somewhere around 12.5-12.7 volts on its own with no load, and with the engine running it should be 13-14 volts. :chevy:

I still say its the battery especially if original, I wouldn't trust Auto Zones test. Test the battery yourself......put a multi-meter on it and check the volts while someone attempts to start the truck, if it dips below 12.2-12.0 volts while cranking, the battery is no good, it should be sitting somewhere around 12.5-12.7 volts on its own with no load, and with the engine running it should be 13-14 volts. :chevy:

good point, factory gm batteries are junk.

if battery checks out your fine. my battery is hte orignal and i dont have issues with it. you could have a loose ground. timing doesnt jump with todays motors like they did in hte past with older motors. Alternator has no part in a vehicle starting. also the 02s if fouled could cause the plugs to be fouled and not getting correct spark but 02s wont cause it to not start.

Camshaft Position Sensor ?

Same symptions on a previous truck I have had.

I believe a faulty camshaft position sensor would cause a turnover but no start condition, not a weak start condition. I still believe you have a battery problem. :chevy:

My truck left me stranded last night:

My gauge cluster was screwin up b/c i havent had a chance to get it fixed yet . I only messes up when its cold so i cranked the truck and left work with no speedometer,tachometer, oil pressure guage, or fuel guage. I got about half way home, just long enough to let my truck warm up and then stopped at a gas station that was closed and shut the truck off in hopes to temporarily fix my gauge cluster.

I waited a minute and when i went to crank my truck again, It wouldnt crank. Luckily my dad came with a set of jumper cables and we got it runnin. So fireman that leads me to beleive that its battery as well.

I have had numorus gm vehicles that had corrision in the positive cable where it mounts to the battery. Even if your battery is good, take the cable off and remove the bolt and check for corrosion. You usually can't see it by just looking at the battery.

Edited by thomp62301 (see edit history)