Out cornered a BMW yesterday!

FalconPilot

On a freeway exit a BMW passed me. (sorry, don't know the exact model, it was dark). I stepped on it to catch up. We went into the decreasing radius corner at the same speed. He started on the inside and drifted out. I started on the outside and passed him on the inside (on the gas). Talking afterward, he said he was sliding out had to back off! The kicker is I have SNOW TIRES on my truck! I wish I had the 20's on so I really could have kicked his butt! He was very inpressed with the SS

I like this truck more every time I drive it (it now has 18,000 miles)

Chad

I don't want to sound mean, and I do think that our truck handles well but

NO. :nono:

Sorry, but I think that the reason you "out cornered" a BMW is that you have better driving skills than the BMW driver.

I think the only reason I could easily say our truck would win is if the BMW had 200,000 miles on the original suspension and bald tires.

Either that or your truck has more tread on the tires and newer suspension.If you both were on winter tires, it may have been the AWD helping you.

If he was driving an older iX, or a newer Xi (BMW's AWD) than it was definitely your driver skill.

Being an owner of both, and that I have driven several BMW models, and years

(older and newer) I have to disagree that our trucks can beat a BMW in cornering.

BMW's are not built for speed, they are built for their handling.

Not sure your weather conditions, but if you are driving on snows then snowy weather would definitely be to your advantage. If not, I think I would bet on the Bimmer.

If you had the chance to drive both your truck and his car, you would probably agree.

Personally I think out trucks have too much sway/body roll.

I have been considering added some sways bars...

Not a flame, just a sanity check! :D

~ Brian

Thanks for the complement on my driving skills! This took place in Secacus NJ. It was a newer white 4 door BMW. Not sure on his tires. the roads has some salt and sand on them from a while ago, but mostly bare. It DID look like he took the wrong line.

Is it just that SS drivers are that much better than a normal average touring car driver??

:D

Falcon, You are the better driver. By reading your description, your made the correct line through the turn and the other driver did not. It makes a world of differnce. I work one town away from Secaucus. ARe you from that area ? I also am a driving instructor for Stock Car Racing Experience at Pocono Raceway in Pa.. We should get some members together in the spring and make a day trip there. It s loads of fun.

Falcon, You are the better driver. By reading your description, your made the correct line through the turn and the other driver did not. It makes a world of differnce. I work one town away from Secaucus. ARe you from that area ? I also am a driving instructor for Stock Car Racing Experience at Pocono Raceway in Pa.. We should get some members together in the spring and make a day trip there. It s loads of fun.

I am down here on work. Unfortunatly, the next few days are very busy. I would have liked to get together over the weekend and swapped stories! I live in upstate NY. Don't get down here but once a year (at least driving). I fly into Tederboro, La Guardia, or JFK at least once a month.

As far as the Pocono's go, I am game!! Any chance on getting the SS's on the track?

Chad

We could get a few laps with the SS ( the boss is preety cool about those things). Then go for a ride the the Cup cars. 165MPH #. One G in turn one. :D . I also have a place in Upstate NY. We ll e mail with more info.. I like to get a few SS togther on the track and take some photos..

cerbomark: Definitely count me in. :eek:

I did the Skip Barber school down in Limerock a few years back. It was a corporate sponsored event - a little of everything thrown in. We took Neon's on the braking test area, Rams on the skid-pad, inline-4 powered "forumula"(?) cars around a small kidney shaped track, a pair of Vipers around another kidney shaped track... then the afternoon was composed of a "free for all" race style event in the Formula cars.

It was SO much fun.

The Formula cars were heavily restricted, but still cornered awesome. They pulled a little over 1.2G's I believe. It rained later in the afternoon, and those cars were a HUGE handfull. You learned throttle control REAL fast.

Since then I've been doing track days at Loudon on my sportbike, but it just doesn't compare to the powerfull car / track experience.

Yes. limerock was good to. Have driven on numerous tracks in the east. We need to set up a day trip for anyone close enough that s interested. We have 3 months or so to set up something. FalconJet is also interested.

We could get a few laps with the SS ( the boss is preety cool about those things). Then go for a ride the the Cup cars. 165MPH #. One G in turn one. :D . I also have a place in Upstate NY. We ll e mail with more info.. I like to get a few SS togther on the track and take some photos..

I'm in!! Will take me 45 minutes to get there. Would love to thake the truck around the track for a photo shoot! :seeya::thumbs:

BTW I go upstate NY on a weekly basis in the winter. Snowmobiling is the best up on Tug Hill

I m getting quiet a few messages about guys wanting to make a day trip to Pocono Raceway PA. Before the spring we ll set a date, have breakfast or lunch in the area, go into the track, watch the school Cup cars run. Maybe during a break the boss will let us take a few laps with our SS s together (nothing crazy ), maybe get a few photos and then anyone wanting a ride in the real thing can go. Driving is also an option but it is a little pricy.. It is a good excuse for some members to meet and BS a little. Thanks Mark C.

On a freeway exit a BMW passed me. (sorry, don't know the exact model, it was dark). I stepped on it to catch up. We went into the decreasing radius corner at the same speed. He started on the inside and drifted out. I started on the outside and passed him on the inside (on the gas). Talking afterward, he said he was sliding out had to back off! The kicker is I have SNOW TIRES on my truck! I wish I had the 20's on so I really could have kicked his butt! He was very inpressed with the SS

I like this truck more every time I drive it (it now has 18,000 miles)

Chad

Call me up in two months when I get my M3 and then I'll race ya. You'll be practically standing still and I think your truck might let a tear out.

Archived