Good Inexpensive Zoom Lense

Champion201

Good and expensive go hand in hand unfortunately. If you want something decent without spending a ton of money you're going to have to look at non-manufacturer lenses. (Canon brand). Check out B&H photo out of New York? They have a really good selection of lenses for that camera. Don't know how to post a link or I would. :dunno:

I would suggest:

Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 @ $389.00 + shipping

Tamron 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 @ $499.00 + shipping

Either one will do a good job in average lighting. NOT great for nighttime stuff like outdoor football. You really need to go to faster lenses (more expensive) for that type of shooting. Both are good for all around/everyday stuff. Gives you a wide angle to a moderate telephoto all in one lens.

Make sure you get USA warranty. Imports are cheaper but carry no warranty.

I try to stay with manufacturer brand stuff most of the time but some other stuff is o.k. too. Tamron is quality optics at close to manufactures prices. About 20% cheaper usually.

Tokina & Sigma are so-so. Wide variance in quality from lens to lens. I wouldn't buy either one without trying it out first. Also, stay away from brands that are packaged with a body like Quantaray and Focal. Absolute Junk!!

If you find something you like and aren't sure, shoot me a pm and I'll let you know what I think if I'm familiar with it.

I've had a Tamron, it worked okay for a little while then it crapped out for no reason. Ever since then, I've been buying nothing but Cannon lenses. It's a little more expensive, but worth it. I got a 75-300 ultrasonic from Abes of Maine. It was about twice as much as the Tamron, but if I hadn't bought the Tamron to begin with, well, you can guess... I shot a bunch of stuff at an air show with the Tamron and got almost nothing out of it.

Edited by Radioshop (see edit history)

I've had a Tamron, it worked okay for a little while then it crapped out for no reason. Ever since then, I've been buying nothing but Cannon lenses. It's a little more expensive, but worth it. I got a 75-300 ultrasonic from Abes of Maine. It was about twice as much as the Tamron, but if I hadn't bought the Tamron to begin with, well, you can guess... I shot a bunch of stuff at an air show with the Tamron and got almost nothing out of it.

I've used Tamron lenses for years and never had a problem. Anything can happen though. You should have sent it back to Tamron. They have 5 year warranties and they're very good about honoring them.

I've heard bad thing about the Canon 75-300 Ultarsonic lense. Saw quite a few very bad reviews about it online at various sites, cant think of them right off hand, at least I'm about 90% sure that was the model they were talking about. Are you happy with yours? Do you wish you purchased something different?

"I would recommend buying a lens with an image stabilzer (IS) built in. The canon rebels don't have on built in to the camera. Believe me you will be sorry if you don't."

Yeah, funny thing is the Rebel XT, the 8mp one HAS IS whereas the XTi, 10mp one does not, go figure.

"I've used Tamron lenses for years and never had a problem. Anything can happen though. You should have sent it back to Tamron. They have 5 year warranties and they're very good about honoring them."

So far online, I have heard very good reviews concerning the Tamron lense's.

Bottom line, I dont want to go out and spend the money on a lense now and say 3 months down the road wish I would have bought something else, because I will. I'm pretty particular about things, the wife calls it anal.

Thanks for the replies. Anymore suggestions?

I didn't know Tamron had that kind of warranty. I'll have to look into it further.

I am very happy with the Cannon zoom lense. Admittedly, I don't really read too many internet blogs about camera stuff for some reason. The only regret I have is not getting a little bit more zoom, but that was more of "dollars than sense" issue at the time.

Edited by Radioshop (see edit history)