Finally Installed My Dynatech Supermaxx System.

Vortec MAX

Well, it took me ten hours today to put my Dyantech SuperMAXX system on. Granted, I am not an ASE certified mechanic so I am going to be somewhat slow, but I thought it was a serious PITA!

I would rather put it a new engine or a new transmission than go through that again. Either of those would be easier.

I had to cut wrenches in half to fit where the oxygen sensors were and wrenched for hours with "stubby" wrenches because they are all that I could fit in there when tightening the upper bolts where the cats connect to the collectors.

For those of you who are going to do this, the crossmember does need to come down. I tried to do it without dropping it, but I could not get the old pipes out.

I also had to "tweak" the passenger side header over with a crowbar because it was touching the frame in the engine compartment. It has about 1/4" clearance now - not much.

The band clamp for the passenger side cat is right above the crossmember bracket and is a PITA to even try to fit a wrench in there.

They sent me the wrong O2 extension, so I had to pull the wiring off the "clip" and pull it tight and wire it up off the cat so it wouldn't melt (temporary fix). I need to call Dynatech and get the right extender.

I almost wonder if it is because I got the system for the SS and there are some differences. I had an exhaust hanger that mounted to the side of the tranny that I did not reinstall because there are no hangers on the new pipes. Is this something the SS has too?

Sorry to rant, but after 10 hours I am exhausted ... oh, and I put a ding in my door to boot. I opened it into the lift support. It had a sharp corner and I nailed it. Now I have to get the door repainted.

Well, I think it's time for a beer and then bed.

Mike

So how does it sound? Any pics?

I only drove it from my neighbors shop to home on icy roads. It was about 3 miles through town. It is noticibly "boomier" at light throttle and idle. I have not got on it yet (ice).

I started to take a lot of pictures, but as my frustration grew, I slacked off. I am not sure if I have enough to do a how to or not now. I might try to put one together and share my experiences. I could offer some tips and tricks now that I have done it.

I will post some of the pics I took from underneath when I get them downloaded from my camera. It looks good, but it was a PITA.

Mike

the dynatechs take alittle time, but there not that bad. try putting full length headers in a 99-02 camaro, that will make you curse. It may have been a hard install, but there worth it. they sent me the wrong o2 extension also. I just switched the ends with some old ones i had laying around and all was good.

you got sound clips?

the dynatechs take alittle time, but there not that bad. try putting full length headers in a 99-02 camaro, that will make you curse. It may have been a hard install, but there worth it. they sent me the wrong o2 extension also. I just switched the ends with some old ones i had laying around and all was good.

you got sound clips?

I had the same problem with my 02 extensions. They did send the right ones to correct the issue. The Dynatechs are a slight pain to install, especially on the driver side but well worth the install. Get a Corsa Sport or Touring to match and you'll like it even more.

B