Might Be Going Diesel

SSplaytoy

:withstupid: Diesels can make a ton of power with just a few easy changes, i.e. marine injectors, intake, exhaust, and tune to turn up the boost can equal big power. But I would be hesitant to buy an 07 diesel with all the new emissions components on there cause all the big three have had there share of problems with these. And there are still limited options out there to eliminate many of these emissions components.

Well I wouldnt mind a new truck but I love my SS and have many memories with her. I said maybe a swap because there is a d-max outta an 04 that is trash. I can rebuild it and get 75%of the parts for free, so I just wanted to know what people think, but I just might stop throwing cash away into the money pit and keep saving it for a place to move to.

That would be pretty cool, I hope you get it running. There is a new GM diesel that is coming out that is a small block. That woulde be the BEST bet. However I am sure a swap can be done with a pre-existing diesel

I wouldnt do it, if you still want a sport truck. It will require more money to make the Diesel go faster. And it will still be fowl handling.

there is only so much easy stuff u can do, and because of the weight of the vehicle , u still dont have that low of an E.T., programed with CAI, will prolly jus get u into 14's. for a $1000. bucks. :D

As far as Marine Injectors Being an "EASY Change"? :nono: thats a 15hr job on a "LBY" motor. and a good 7hr on the "LLY" and "LBZ" Motor. (ALso Deisel Inectors "OEM" can rival the cost of a used blower)

Now the Kicker is, If you up the power on a D-Max 200H.P, u will throw that Allison Tranny into limp home mode right away. They need Internal Modification to Handle Higher H.P :dunno:

Note: The 2006 & 07 Models " with all the emmission stuff" :confused: or set up for low sulfer fuel! ("LBZ" Engine)

Will destroy the previouse 05 and Earlier LLY, and LB7 engines. (it is waaay faster! :driving: 345hp, 660 ftlbs of tourque.

Also, note: in 2004 they ditched the waste Gate, and went too a Variable Vain turbo! Much Better IMO.

Check on the Diesel Forums and research and price out what u want to do first. Either way they are both fine truck's, and Good Luck :thumbs:

~Danny

I wouldnt do it, if you still want a sport truck. It will require more money to make the Diesel go faster. And it will still be fowl handling.

there is only so much easy stuff u can do, and because of the weight of the vehicle , u still dont have that low of an E.T., programed with CAI, will prolly jus get u into 14's. for a $1000. bucks. :D

As far as Marine Injectors Being an "EASY Change"? :nono: thats a 15hr job on a "LBY" motor. and a good 7hr on the "LLY" and "LBZ" Motor. (ALso Deisel Inectors "OEM" can rival the cost of a used blower)

Now the Kicker is, If you up the power on a D-Max 200H.P, u will throw that Allison Tranny into limp home mode right away. They need Internal Modification to Handle Higher H.P :dunno:

Note: The 2006 & 07 Models " with all the emmission stuff" :confused: or set up for low sulfer fuel! ("LBZ" Engine)

Will destroy the previouse 05 and Earlier LLY, and LB7 engines. (it is waaay faster! :driving: 345hp, 660 ftlbs of tourque.

Also, note: in 2004 they ditched the waste Gate, and went too a Variable Vain turbo! Much Better IMO.

Check on the Diesel Forums and research and price out what u want to do first. Either way they are both fine truck's, and Good Luck :thumbs:

~Danny

Thanks for the info. The motor would be completely custom built and most of the stuff I would be getting free except probably the turbos and pistons. Anyway, it was an idea. I can always build it and sell it or build it and put it in a rcsb c-10 or something.

Ive been throwing around the same idea too... (not TT) I wanted a Duramax before but couldent afford it.. I fell in love with the SSS when I bought it, but now on my way to work everyday I see a 06 4door D-max for sale for 32k thats calling my name....... I really cant decide what I want

What I am refering to with "all the emission stuff" is in model year 07 the epa came out with stricter emissions for diesel engines which basically required that all the manufacturers add a some version of a diesel particulate filter to the exhaust system. Requiring the vehicle to run what is known as a regen once the soot load gets to high, which is basically burning the soot out of the filter. And from what I have heard about these all three of the manufacturers have had there share of problems with these systems early on.

But I am sure that some of the programmers out there have come out with ways to eliminate some of these components.

I do agree though that the new engines do make substantially more power and the variable vain turbos that are used are much better than the previous wastegated versions. :)

But SSplaytoy if you are planning on a completely custom build none of this emission stuff would really matter to you anyways I guess. So good luck with whatever you do. :cheers:

If you want 1500 HP (rwhp?) out of a Duramax, be prepared to spend just as much money as the gas guys if not more.

1500HP is a HUGE number even by diesel standards. My good friend invested $15,000.00 in his duramax and hits 900HP on the dyno and low 12's on the 1/4. That is with a built motor and the aura 5000 Turbo pushing 50psi. He has 6k into the alison as well.

Bottom line is that the duramax will gain huge power over stock for very little money however, if you want BIG power, be prepped to open a home equity loan.

if you go with a duramax you got 3 choices in engines if you dont want to dick with particulate systems, all three will run straight piped with a few mods.. usually when they do throw a check engine after you remove the cat or muffler it's an EGR... GM has a recall for that.. the new engine, the LMM, yeah... dont mess with that.. it's a turd and has too many ghosts to chase in the electronics.. DPF, EGR.. they both suck on it.. here's some info on the 3 worth some thought... I kind of have to work with them on a daily basis so i thought i'd share some insight/ experiences

LB7 (01- early 04) these are the trucks you see blowin coal... they usually own the dyno, but have a few quirks... injectors are underneath the head and go out pretty easily... but i will tell you this, they love nitrous and propane use both at your own risk though.. these are really cheap to get to 500+ rwhp while getting 20+ mpg

LLY (04.5-early 06) Found in current kodiaks and topkicks... great for building tourque, but a pain to get decent fuel pressure in... it's even a pain to change the fuel filter.. get ready to shell out some money for a FASS pump... generally dont show big numbers on the dyno, but put up some respectable ones on the 1/4

LBZ (06.5-early 07) these are closely based off the lb7 and takes the same flashes from GM, the only problem i have seen with this engine is if you want to put up decent numbers you're going to have to either do an EGR bypass or blocker... The big guys at DHRA can get 12 second 1/4's out of these... drive one with a good tune and you'll see why.