System Question...

Is it ok to pull my power for my system from this? Im runnin 4 ga. wire and running it into a 1 farad power capacitor? Im probably goin to a dual battery setup before long BUT until is it ok to run my power from the red battery box?

IMG_8215.jpg

Edited by smoke03 (see edit history)

I've done that a few times for small single amps, but if you have anything that is going to draw some real current then I would go right to the batt. Since you have 4 ga. and mentioned a cap and second batt. I would def recomend going right to the battery.

agreed!!!!

Now just wait a minute...

It's not easy add cables to side post batteries in an effective manner. You can buy the spacer and the long bolt, but in the long run, the spacer is going to compress and things will slip and get loose. You can get aftermarket terminals, but that means hacking up your OEM battery cables, which are far superior to anything out there in the aftermarket. If you hack up the OEM cables, you're asking for water intrusion. Going to the that block you do have a nice bolt you can slip a ring over. Not to mention, the extra inches of wire you save, which is less resistance. If you're really paranoid about it, run a slightly larger gauge of wire. Or get an Optima battery and run your stereo stuff to the unused top post.

Hopefully, you're running an equal sized ground wire to the same point where battery negative cable is attached to the vehicle. People never think about grounds and often this is the real cause of "voltage drops".

Edited by Radioshop (see edit history)

Now just wait a minute...

It's not easy add cables to side post batteries in an effective manner. You can buy the spacer and the long bolt, but in the long run, the spacer is going to compress and things will slip and get loose. You can get aftermarket terminals, but that means hacking up your OEM battery cables, which are far superior to anything out there in the aftermarket. If you hack up the OEM cables, you're asking for water intrusion. Going to the that block you do have a nice bolt you can slip a ring over. Not to mention, the extra inches of wire you save, which is less resistance. If you're really paranoid about it, run a slightly larger gauge of wire. Or get an Optima battery and run your stereo stuff to the unused top post.

Hopefully, you're running an equal sized ground wire to the same point where battery negative cable is attached to the vehicle. People never think about grounds and often this is the real cause of "voltage drops".

i can say i have never had things compress and come loose on one of these pieces. been using them for about 14 years. as for aftermarket terminals, heat shrink is your friend. and i would never just hack the ends off the factory connections without a stable and more reliable connection. and trust me, GM has some sketchy connections from what i have seen and rebuilt in my own truck. as for going to that block under the hood, the lead from the battery to that is roughly 6-8 gauge. not what i would consider reliable for a solid current free connection for a power hungry audio system. also you are 100% correct, upgrade them darn shitty ground GM provides, as well as a dual terminal battery. this will help out alot in designing and installing a solid system. it doesnt have to be an optima. yes they are decent and i have some in my truck, but there are better batteries out there.

I know you arent blaming or yellin at me. just didnt have time to get into a in depth answer earlier this morning. go to the battery and save yourself the headaches in the future. 8 guage is the biggest i would ever run off that terminal that is shown. otherwire, go to the source

i can say i have never had things compress and come loose on one of these pieces. been using them for about 14 years. as for aftermarket terminals, heat shrink is your friend. and i would never just hack the ends off the factory connections without a stable and more reliable connection. and trust me, GM has some sketchy connections from what i have seen and rebuilt in my own truck. as for going to that block under the hood, the lead from the battery to that is roughly 6-8 gauge. not what i would consider reliable for a solid current free connection for a power hungry audio system. also you are 100% correct, upgrade them darn shitty ground GM provides, as well as a dual terminal battery. this will help out alot in designing and installing a solid system. it doesnt have to be an optima. yes they are decent and i have some in my truck, but there are better batteries out there.

I know you arent blaming or yellin at me. just didnt have time to get into a in depth answer earlier this morning. go to the battery and save yourself the headaches in the future. 8 guage is the biggest i would ever run off that terminal that is shown. otherwire, go to the source

AGREED! ! !