A 'lil Help Please?

My communications skill apparently have taken a dive. Now, I just want to put someone's head through a wall.

I'm having a discussion with a guy who CLAIMS to be a mechanic. We get discussing GMs AWD and 4WD systems.... and that's where this starts.

He's telling me there's no difference in the AUTO 4WD feature on the Silverado and the AWD Silverado SS (Denali, Cadillac, etc.) He says it works the same way. This doesn't seem right, as when I hit the gas in my truck (AWD Silverado SS) in the snow, or ice, the traction is instant. When I hit the gas in my dad's truck while it's in AUTO 4WD, it spins the tire(s) for a quarter of a second or so, then 'kicks' in.

Also, he says that 4WD is 4 wheels driving. I was always taught that you'd have traction with one wheel up front, and 1 in the back, unless you have posi, then you'd have both the rears spinning.

Someone shed some light on this?

My communications skill apparently have taken a dive. Now, I just want to put someone's head through a wall.

I'm having a discussion with a guy who CLAIMS to be a mechanic. We get discussing GMs AWD and 4WD systems.... and that's where this starts.

He's telling me there's no difference in the AUTO 4WD feature on the Silverado and the AWD Silverado SS (Denali, Cadillac, etc.) He says it works the same way. This doesn't seem right, as when I hit the gas in my truck (AWD Silverado SS) in the snow, or ice, the traction is instant. When I hit the gas in my dad's truck while it's in AUTO 4WD, it spins the tire(s) for a quarter of a second or so, then 'kicks' in.

Also, he says that 4WD is 4 wheels driving. I was always taught that you'd have traction with one wheel up front, and 1 in the back, unless you have posi, then you'd have both the rears spinning.

Someone shed some light on this?

It's similar, but not the same as the auto 4wd. The auto 4wd transfer case engages electronically and our transfer case is mechanical. Personally, I would LOVE for our SSS to have auto 4wd that we could flip off and have 2wd mileage, plus be able to do a BURNOUT!!!

4wd means 4 wheels ATTEMPTING to drive, just like 2wd is 2 wheels ATTEMPTING to drive. It has nothing to do with posi or not, although posi/locker/etc will increase the traction of either style.

The auto 4WD function is very similar to the AWD system. They both use a viscous clutch in the transfer case to engage the front axle. The AWD is always engaged thats why its All Wheel Drive The Auto4WD uses the same clutch set up as the AWD but only gets engaged when selected by the switch. So they do operate the same way but the reason you get a little wheel spin in the auto4WD is the play in the transfer case and the AWD is more responsive. The AWD does run primarily on 2WD until heavy torque is applied. If you jacked up the rear of your truck and put it in gear you would see the rear wheels spin, the clutch set in the transfer case works just like the posi in a rear end, thats why these truck can make a turn and not feel like its binding like a 4WD engaged would on asphalt.