Used Car Question

kissfans03ss

I have been looking into a used crew cab diesel since oct-nov of last year,there is a tag in the window with 2 different prices on it $37480 and the sale price of $34880.I have talked to the dealer on and off about the price and it was dropped 2 more times from $32880 to know $31800,a sales man told me they were just getting ready to send the truck to auction due to lack of interest in the truck,my question is do you guys think the dealer would drop the price more if i play hard ball with them or do you think they will get close to this price at auction,the truck is an 05 with 30k on the clock.Ibasically want to see what i could get the truck for and remember it is a want not a need.Thanks guys

Do a Kelly Blue Book Retail and trade in on the truck. What Trim level? I am assuming it is a Chevy or GMC? We need a little more detail to help you better.

Just to give you an idea, I recently traded my 2006 LT3 Silverado CC/LB Duramax. It had 26K miles, Leather, XM, 6 Disc, Bose, Heated Seats, etc. Pretty well loaded. I got $32800.00 on a trade towards my 2008 Duramax LTZ. I got the new truck at invoice, and I think I got good money for the trade. Another dealer was at $29,995.00 for the trade. The truck you are looking at is a year older and a little higher miles. Assuming it is loaded and in excellent condition, I would offer them $30,000.00. If it is more or the same as they think they will get at the auction, they will probably sell it to you. If they pass when you walk out, then you know you are under the auction value. I am also assuming it is a 4x4?

just checked on the auction pipeline (dealer thing). They're bringing anywhere between $23k and $29k. I'd say you would be safe with a $29-$30k offer. Obviosly they want the thing gone, and are willing to take a little hit if they are sending it to an auction, or will sell it for what they bought it for, and eat the auction fee's, transport... yada yada. Ask them what they're bottom dollar is, and go from there. :thumbs:

Good luck

Edited by montanass (see edit history)

YEs it is a4x4 chevy with the diesel/allison combo, the LT3 int. dvd system,line-x and folding bedcover,so yes it is totaly maxed out,in Dec. they priced it at $32800 and now not even a month later they priced it at $31800,i know dealers work on profit but i still think there is room to play after all wont it cost them money to get the truck to the auctioners and then hope they get a good offer on it.Thanks for the reply Autoguy in fact the truck is almost like youre old one silverbirch/grey.Thank you to Montana i always like to haer from a dealer to keep me on the right track,would you recomend i low ball first? around 29k or just ask for the lowest they will take?

Edited by kissfans03ss (see edit history)

I was at the dealer today, and my truck is still there. I traded it November 29th. That is when you know you got a good trade in if the truck sits for 45-60 days.

Here is my old truck I traded... http://www.browndaubchevy.com/preowned/ind...39645&img=1

It did not have a Sunroof or Rear DVD Player.

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

Jim, I would go in w/ the offer of 29k if you are series about buying and then let them make the deal. What is your top dollar that you will spend? Let that be your guide for there counter offer.

Autoguy- Your old truck is sitting there still because not just anyone want a long box. That is one bigass truck :crazy:

My last 4 trucks have been Crew Cabs with 8' beds. I guess I am just accustomed to them by now. Funny thing is, I saw an Extended Cab with an 8' bed the other day, and it really looked long on the road. I think the cap I have on mine makes the height to length ratio a bit different.

...Thank you to Montana i always like to haer from a dealer to keep me on the right track,would you recomend i low ball first? around 29k or just ask for the lowest they will take?

I would low ball with my initial offer. If/when they say no, then ask them what the absolute lowest price is. That should get you rolling.

Salespeople look for three things when seting up a sale; What do you want? Why do you want it? And What are you willing to pay. A good salesperson will sell themselves by getting on a "personal" level with you, and then try to sell the product or service.

Good luck/ have fun.

Are you trading the SS in on this truck?

Hell no!!! the SS stays,I actually have an 04 ext cab duramax i was going to trade but unfortunatelly the dealer would no budge on price so i walked.Like i stated before it was more of a want than a need and thanks again for chiming in guys.