Engine Bay Paint

This weekend I plan on doing a little engine bay painting. I want to try to paint all these plastic covers a nice gloss black. Does anyone have some tips on the best way to go about it. Is there a special paint I should use? Thanks guys. I will post some pics once I am done to show how it turned out

This weekend I plan on doing a little engine bay painting. I want to try to paint all these plastic covers a nice gloss black. Does anyone have some tips on the best way to go about it. Is there a special paint I should use? Thanks guys. I will post some pics once I am done to show how it turned out

be sure to clean the covers very well with soap and water. Then rough them up with some scotch brite and then wipe down with some surface cleaner (ex.: Xylene, mineral spirits, etc.) Some people spray the paint to the bare surface but i would prefer to use a sandable primer and make sure everything is smooth. Once that is down, spray your color, and let dry completely. Krylon seems to be the stuff of choice. Some people have sprayed Krylon fusion to bare plastic and had good luck with it. You could probably spray a couple coats of clear over the color if you really want it to last, and you could probably polish it up pretty well also.

hope this gives you some direction.

ive painted plenty of plastics this is my way of doing it. first clean very well with purple power, rinse, and scuff with scotch brite. spray a good coat of bulldog(adhesion promoter) then spray your base color and clear. guessing you have spray guns? couldnt say about useing krylon. i used krylon to black out my grille and it looks great but, on larger surfaces not sure how it would look. i can promise you if you follow the above steps youll be pleased. oh almost forgot you will still be able to see the texture of the plastic, but it will feel slick to the touch. hope this helps

montanass must have posted while i was typing. guess i was just repeating his post. the extra step of priming and sanding will get rid of most if not all of the texture. if you prime, wet sand with 800 grit. you dont have to bulldog before priming but i do just as a precaution.

• 2 weeks later...