New Transfer Case Fluid

i am planning on doing a complete fluids change this weekend and have been doing some research on what fluids i need. Everything seems pretty cut and dry except for the transfer case. I assumed it would take the Autotrak II that i use in all the other GM transfer cases, but Mitchell OnDemand says to use DexronIII. I did some digging in the service bulletins and i found one that says all GM manual transmissions and transfer cases that were originally designated to use Dexron III should not use the new Dexron VI, but another fluid #88861800. Its called Manual Transmission and Transfer Case lube. I just ordered some from the dealer, havent got it yet. Anyone use it yet? is it the AutotrakII rebadged or something all new?

thanks for any thoughts

yeah i agree that i definitely would have used the AutoTrakII if i didnt find this other bulletin. I just got this other fluid delivered, its red and looks just like ATF, but it definitely does not smell like it. Smells like hydraulic fluid. On the back it said it contains ATF and a bunch of other ingredients. I guess i'll try it out since it says thats what should be used

the bulletin im speaking of is 04-07-30-037

in that same bulletin it discusses ATF too, it states that any time tranny fluid is changed, topped off, or after a rebuild, that Dexron VI should be used in all automatic transmissions, no more DexronIII. Anyone buy DexronVI yet? is it pricey?

in that same bulletin it discusses ATF too, it states that any time tranny fluid is changed, topped off, or after a rebuild, that Dexron VI should be used in all automatic transmissions, no more DexronIII. Anyone buy DexronVI yet? is it pricey?

Here's a link to a post I started asking about Dex VI. After all of the feedback, I stayed with Dex III.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35771

Here's a link to a post I started asking about Dex VI. After all of the feedback, I stayed with Dex III.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35771

very interesting. Thanks for info. As far as the tranny, i agree that i am going to stick with the DexIII. As long as you change it consistently, you are fine. On my 1997 K1500 4x4 i put 190,000 miles on the original 4L60E tranny until one of the planetaries went out from towing a trailer up a rocky road. I changed the fluid every 25000 since i towed a lot with it, when i pulled down the tranny to rebuild it all my clutches and band looked like new. I was extremely impressed for 190,000. If it wasnt for that weak planetary design im confident that tranny would have lasted forever.

Probably only way i would go with the Dex6 is if i was rebuilding it, and i knew i was starting fresh with ALL synthetic fluid