Shift Kits

I'm looking at shift kits and other trans components now, and hope you guys can answer a few questions

Transgo offers a shift kit, and then a reprogramming kit. What is the difference? can they be installed with the trans in the vehicle? any idea where i can get a list of what comes in the kits?

I've read on here numerous times that the shift kits are useless without getting rid of torque management, is that entirely true? i havent seen that anywhere else ive looked. Is it more that you wont get the full potential of the kit with reprogramming? When i rebuilt the 4L60E in my 1997, i upgraded to the beast shell and went to the 5 pinion planetaries, but left the valve body alone except for upgrading the one TC valve. When i was done i didnt like the stock-slow shifts, went to the corvette servos and it was all around much better and still is a year later. But in the theory of TM and trans mods, it would have eventually covered up the mods and made its way back to stock shift timing, from what i have read on here. Any opinions? thanks

A shift kit can be installed without dropping your trans. If you have questions about the TransGo kits, I suggest you give Vince or Chuck at FLT(Finish Line Transmisions) a call, they are an awesome group to deal with and they modify each kit to work properly with the 4L65E.

You do need to retune to reap the benefits of a shift kit, and removing the TM is recommended by most. In your case, I would order a custom tune at the same time as the shift kit. Charlie Wheatley is someone you should consider on the tuning.

My recommendations are the following....

TransGo HD2-C Shift Kit

Corvette Servos

Custom tune

This combo should give you what you are looking for, you won't be sorry with the results. I just modded my trans a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier! :chevy:

www.gowheatley.com

www.finishlinetrans.com

The reprograming kit reduces the tendency for studder shifts, and/or the BAM shift into second under light and mid throttle. Otherwise the shifts and pressure are left stock.

The shift kit replaces several springs (pressure in pump, accumulator springs, etc) as well as has you increase the size on several of the separator plate holes. This kit also fixes the same problem as the reprogramming kit, but offers firmer shifts. For HARD shifts, there's also an HD shift kit offered by Trans Go as well.

Yes, you should reprogram the ECU after installing a shift kit. Shift timing is the main thing that you would want to change IMHO and is worth it, let alone the torque management crap. If you leave TM in, it's a waste of money though IMHO.

While you're doing upgrades:

Aluminum accumulator pistons (1-2, 3-4, and forward accumulator)

Corvette or billet servo

As far as install, several people have installed them while in the truck. The servos can be a bit tricky, but it can be done with some beer and calm demeanor. :cheers:

A shift kit can be installed without dropping your trans. If you have questions about the TransGo kits, I suggest you give Vince or Chuck at FLT(Finish Line Transmisions) a call, they are an awesome group to deal with and they modify each kit to work properly with the 4L65E.

You do need to retune to reap the benefits of a shift kit, and removing the TM is recommended by most. In your case, I would order a custom tune at the same time as the shift kit. Charlie Wheatley is someone you should consider on the tuning.

My recommendations are the following....

TransGo HD2-C Shift Kit

Corvette Servos

Custom tune

This combo should give you what you are looking for, you won't be sorry with the results. I just modded my trans a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier! :chevy:

www.gowheatley.com

www.finishlinetrans.com

:withstupid:

Transgo HD2-C Kit

Vette Servos

FLT Billet Accumulator Pistons

cool, thanks for info. As far as a tune, im looking into a program such as EFIlive or HPTuners, havent really decided yet.

has anyone used the billet Sonnax servos? they are pricey versus the vette servos, but looks like a quality piece and get a lot out of it, such as bigger apply area over vette servos and additional seals and a longer apply pin

http://finishlinetrans.com/store/product_i...;products_id=83

from what ive read, in the transgo kit there are selectable washers that designate how hard of a shift you want? i want the extra strength and faster shifts, but i dont want it rediculously hard. Im not racing or anything, i just want the tranny beefed up for towing and to get rid of the sloppy stock shifts

from what ive read, in the transgo kit there are selectable washers that designate how hard of a shift you want? i want the extra strength and faster shifts, but i dont want it rediculously hard. Im not racing or anything, i just want the tranny beefed up for towing and to get rid of the sloppy stock shifts

you'd be fine with one washer :thumbs:

cool, thanks for info. As far as a tune, im looking into a program such as EFIlive or HPTuners, havent really decided yet.

has anyone used the billet Sonnax servos? they are pricey versus the vette servos, but looks like a quality piece and get a lot out of it, such as bigger apply area over vette servos and additional seals and a longer apply pin

http://finishlinetrans.com/store/product_i...;products_id=83

I talked to FLT about getting the Sonnax 2/4 Billet servo's, but really unless you have high high HP with a built trans, they are overkill. I would just go with a Vette 2nd servo, IMO.