Cam Swap

I am wanting to swap out the cam i currently have in the truck which is a 220 224 575 575 on a 112 and put in a 232 234 595 598 I was wondering if the lift on that cam will cause piston to valve clearance issuss? I also have LS6 heads ported by TEA on the truck right now.

What is the most lift you can go with stock heads & pistons? Or the better question is, what is the most lift you should do on stock heads & pistons? I'm planning on upgrading the springs, pushrods, lifters, & using 1.7 ratio roller rockers. What about the 1.85 ratio roller rockers? Does it depend on the cam as to what the idle speed should be changed to? Also can the idle speed be lowered on a truck with the stock cam & get a little cam lope sound?? Thanks.

What is the most lift you can go with stock heads & pistons? Or the better question is, what is the most lift you should do on stock heads & pistons? I'm planning on upgrading the springs, pushrods, lifters, & using 1.7 ratio roller rockers. What about the 1.85 ratio roller rockers? Does it depend on the cam as to what the idle speed should be changed to? Also can the idle speed be lowered on a truck with the stock cam & get a little cam lope sound?? Thanks.

once you start gitting well into the .625"+ range of lifts you need to start paying attention to cam timing, yes depending on what cam you get is the key for idle speed, manuals can be set at a lower rpm than an auto would. about the rockers alo depends onthe cam because some cams are ground on really aggressive lobe designs. i really doubt that lowering the idle on a stock app. will yeild any sound difference because the lsa is so wide

So for instance if I did a .591 lift cam & 1.8 ratio rockers from a Z06 LS7 I don't have to worry about the valves smacking the pistons? Anyone tried that setup, would it work?? I'm new to this, I'm use to classic small blocks, so if I sound dumb it's because I don't know. Thanks Guys.

I am wanting to swap out the cam i currently have in the truck which is a 220 224 575 575 on a 112 and put in a 232 234 595 598 I was wondering if the lift on that cam will cause piston to valve clearance issuss? I also have LS6 heads ported by TEA on the truck right now.

very similar to the cam im eyeballing right now. should be fine with stock pistons. is that the tsp torquer 3 cam?

So for instance if I did a .591 lift cam & 1.8 ratio rockers from a Z06 LS7 I don't have to worry about the valves smacking the pistons? Anyone tried that setup, would it work?? I'm new to this, I'm use to classic small blocks, so if I sound dumb it's because I don't know. Thanks Guys.

mmmmm not as easy as it sounds. when you change the rocker ratio you increase valve lift too, so on that cam you listed is the lift from 1.7 rockers? if so the lobe lift for that cam (.591") is .348" multiplied by the rocker ratio 1.7 = .591". . . . . .but if you add 1.8 rockers you lift is now is .626". .. . .see what i mean

I knew the 1.8:1 rockers on the exhaust side were offset. I ment to say if you could use regular rockers the 1.8:1 ratio would work with that cam??

I looked at CraneCams, they have one that is .228 I/.232 E duration @.050 .600 I/.600 E lift 112 lsa with 1.7:1 rockers. How would that work?

Edited by TheGeorgiaKid (see edit history)

Only reason I said 1.8:1 rockers is that is the ratio on the Z06 LS7. I looked at CraneCams, they have one that is .228 I/.232 E duration @.050 .600 I/.600 E lift lobe sep 114 with 1.7:1 rockers. How would that work?

that cam would be nice but you'd need a 3200 stall conveter to back the cam up