Wife's Car Broke

Bonj87

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to worry until you hear something!

:withstupid: Hakuna Matata! Time to live in the now Bonjie, whatever happened is already done and you're not going to help the car or you making yourself sick over it with worry. Pimp SS says, "that sh*t'll buff out.."

Mr. P. :)

This may be a dumb question since you're used to living in a cold weather climate, but how cold was it? My old truck overheated on me once when it was about -10 outside. Turned out I didn't have the correct ratio of antifreeze and my radiator froze solid. With no water circulation the truck overheated. The temp guage was all over the place. I let everything thaw out, flushed the radiator and that bad boy fired right back up.

with the temp outside and the way your car was pegging each side of the temp gauge I would think you got some serious issues especially now that it isnt starting. Just because it has low miles doesnt mean to much, kinda crappy though. Sounds like either your t-stat was sticking on you or possible rad failure. Hopefully you didnt warp the blocl with those heat cycles like that

I hate to say it Mike, but I think your combustion chamber is filled with coolant, i.e. a bad head gasket. I bet if you hooked jumper cables up from the tow truck and cranked it, the car would eventually start due to the high output alternator on the wrecker. When the car starts the exhaust will stink like anti-freeze and the exhaust will be like a white steam/smoke. Look at the dipstick too, if you see Dexcool mixed with the motor oil then its the head gasket.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

i got this from a jbody forum.....

"Sounds like an electrical issue - not a mechanical one. She would have seen steam with the car off if it had overheated. It also can't cool and heat THAT fast, so I wouldn't worry about the motor being cooked. The gage would never go down to MIN after it's been running hot - maybe down to normal, but not likely any lower.

I believe that the BCM feeds the cluster with its info, and the BCM gets its info for that from the PCM. I would guess that maybe the PCM was spitting out info intermittently, and then shut down entirely. I don't think that this is a common failure any more, but at least there should be enough used units around to get things going without too much expense. It will probably cost more to get it properly programmed than to find another module.

Hopefully these are pretty smart guys you have taken it to. Problems like this can get time consuming very easily if you're not 100% familiar with how all of the parts interact.

"