Wall Mount T.v's

saytagf

So I just got the mount in the mail...I'm gonna be putting a 42inch LG plasma in the bedroom and have a couple questions for anyone who's done this. Where do you put the cable box DVD player and such? I would liek to avoid having a table or stand under the TV for this stuff...kinda seems like it would defeat the purpose of wall mounting. Do i really need in-wall rated wires for this? I was told not to run the power cord for the TV in the wall...If anyone has pictures of their set-up they would be greatly appreciated. Dylan didn't you used to do this professionally? Time to speak up :thumbs:

Thanks in advance everyone

So I just got the mount in the mail...I'm gonna be putting a 42inch LG plasma in the bedroom and have a couple questions for anyone who's done this. Where do you put the cable box DVD player and such? I would liek to avoid having a table or stand under the TV for this stuff...kinda seems like it would defeat the purpose of wall mounting. Do i really need in-wall rated wires for this? I was told not to run the power cord for the TV in the wall...If anyone has pictures of their set-up they would be greatly appreciated. Dylan didn't you used to do this professionally? Time to speak up :thumbs:

Thanks in advance everyone

Well, I don't have a tv ON the wall, I did build mine in the wall. I pounded nails for 10 years before I started my landscaping business. If your somewhat handy you can add an additional outlet behind the tv. I wouldn't run the power wire from the tv through the wall. As for where to put the cable box... that's always a tough call. If you have long enough cables you can set them anywhere. Fishing the wires through walls can be a PITA. I've had all kinds of fun fishing wires. I recently added a projector to my tv room so anything is possible.

I'll have to take a pic of my current set up. I'll add that in a few minutes. Hope that helps.

Tvpics001.jpg

ChadTvpics005.jpg

Tvpics004.jpg

Edited by ThePDB (see edit history)

I have the same TV as you ThePDB

Also I see you have a PS3, do you play online?

Umm, I'm gonna have to start playing online...actually, I'm gonna have to start playing period! I don't game that much. It's strange, a buddy of mine was just telling me how to set up the ps3 for online. I already have cat5 there for the tivo so really it shouldn't be that hard. I'm warning everyone now though- I suck at games.

I love the Samsung tv. I was disappointed when I first got it... but after seeing it with the Blu Ray player and HD DVD I wouldn't trade it for anything. Playing on the 110" projector is insane!!!

So how hard is it gonna be to relocate an av power source to behind the tv??? doesn't it need to be recessed??

I'm not sure if this is what your asking but most tv mounts will leave you enough room to plug in the tv to an outlet and your av sources. If your talking about hiding the cable from the source to the tv... What's the floor like under the room this tv is in? What about above? You might be able to run the cable up from the floor below inside the 2x4 wall cavity, or the same way from above. Any one else have any easier ideas or options?

You could put a cut in box below the tv by the floor and then another behind where the tv will sit and run the av wires through each plate (which would hide it from the floor to the tv. Hope that helps

Ok so THIS is what i got to mount behind the TV and plug into. Here's my question as I'm definitly no electrician. I have an av outlet about 4feet below where this new plate needs to be mounted so how do i tap power from the source below it??? I may be being too vague but hopefully you get what i mean.

Ok so THIS is what i got to mount behind the TV and plug into. Here's my question as I'm definitly no electrician. I have an av outlet about 4feet below where this new plate needs to be mounted so how do i tap power from the source below it??? I may be being too vague but hopefully you get what i mean.

Depending on how many outlets you already have in the room, one thing you could do (if the new outlet/plate is directly above the existing outlet is going to be would be cut the whole for your new outlet, run 12-2 wire from the new hole to the existing outlet box below. Most outlets have push in connectors on the back where you could easily get power to the new outlet from. Another option would be unwiring the outlet, wire nutting all the wires together in the box with jumper wires, and reconnect the existing outlet to the jumper wires. That probably didn't make a whole lot of sense. It's hard to explain because I know what I mean so I might not be explaining it enough