Will Going Back To Stock Exhaust Give Me Back Lost Horsepower?

I have 2 flowmaster 40s on my truck. Other than sounding terrible, I feel that I have less low end torque. Is this my imagination, or would stock exhaust help me. I will eventually go corsa, but I am beyond sick of the drone these flowmasters give.

someone posted a while back that a Flowmaster rep admited to their producted as causing a h.p. loss when installed but like the guys said a cat back and h-pipe will def. help.

that would be myself but nobody believed it at the time so i never mention it. :rolleyes:

I once read that if you wanna fix ur cab drone put the heat shields on that flow master sells. Also if you have ur mufflers mounted farther back you will be able to eliminate some as well. I dont have a problem with drone anymore but my mufflers are by my axle now so no more under the cab.

someone posted a while back that a Flowmaster rep admited to their producted as causing a h.p. loss when installed but like the guys said a cat back and h-pipe will def. help.

:withstupid: i couldnt have said it better myself lol. i have heard COUNTLESS customers complain about their flowmasters killing low end torque, and i have seen it many times on the dyno. i dont, and will not use them. go with either a stock setup or a corsa or something similar. as a whole, im not a big fan of custom exhausts unless serious HP is being made (which a CB couldnt keep up with)

i have an honest question that i can't find an answer to...how does a corsa exhaust help at all? If i remember it is a single 3" pipe that replaces the dual 2.75" pipes right? I don't understand how it can flow better then the stock pipes with just a new muffler cut in. Or are they all true dual set ups?

Thanks

Brad

The Corsa will help quite a bit for gaining HP and TQ. I'd say about 10-12 HP over flowmaster or stock. I have both set up's. I've made an inter-changeable exhaust system with the two. I use the Flowmaster super 44 with a cutout for around town, (which I do lose lowend TQ) about 10lbs. worth. When I go to the track, I put the Corsa sport back on. I can really feel the difference in the two. The Corsa feels alot more peppy and will burn up the tires.

The answer to your question is yes, the stocker will be better than the flow.

the difference is the corsa is engineered... and also the corsa muffler is straight thru vs. the stocker having chambers (flowmaster is chambered as well). the stocker is two 2 1/2" from the cats into the stock muffler that then turns into a 3 or 4 inch single pipe to exit. i know the stocker isnt very restrictive at all, but it just doesnt produce the sound.

maganflow is also a straight thru muffler.... they flow great, but have resonance that just cant compete with corsa

the only reason i asked is because guys are spending big money on these exhaust systems, and then recomending them because it sounds cool. From a flow stand point to be able to produce HP i didn't see the corsa being able to out flow the stock pipes with a flow through muffler cut in. 100 bucks for a muffler and another 100 to have it put in, or 700 for a new system that I couldn't explain if it helps or not.

Thanks

I installed a dual in and out super 40 flowmaster on mine and shotgunned it out the back with black chrome Camaro SS tips looks good and sounds great. I also can tell a difference in low end torque and not as peppy. I thought it was all in my mind but from reading all of this it must be true. I hate to buy another exhaust system. So will doing a "H" pipe get rid of this problem and would that be installed before or after the muffler. Also I was thinking when using a dual in and out wouldn't this be worst than using 2 separate mufflers. I'm thinking you could expel more exhaust through 2 mufflers better than 1. What do you guys think. :confused: