Tranny Change

Ok guys dont beat me up about this. I like my truck and dont want to get rid of it. My front end is getting ready to need a rebuilt, my transfer case has got alot of slop in it, and my tranny sometime acts funny when shifting. My main concern right now is the front-end. Any-way to my question that i'm going to beat up about is: what about putting regular 4l60E tranny in it out of a 2 wheel dr. truck and removing all of the AWD stuff. If I was to do this I wouldn't have to worry about the transfer and front-end any more. Is this feazable to do and want about the speed sensor will it plug in to the 2 wheel dr. tranny. Oh yea have to get a drive shaft also. Does a 2 wheel dr. have a carrier bearing and will that cross member bolt up. I was thinking of getting a tranny and drive shaft from a wrecked vehicle and beefing up that tranny with the servo's and shift kit and etc.

Thanks guys dont beat me up to bad about this. Wants you thought on the swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only one I know of that has done something like this is turbochargedbeserker (not sure if that's spelled right). If I remember right, he went to 2wd because he has so much HP/TQ that keeping the AWD would have been more trouble for him than it was worth.

I would believe you could swap over the front spindles/etc from a VHO in order to keep the torsion bar front suspension, not sure if all of the frame mounts/etc are the same or not... If you found one in a salvage yard you could crawl under and measure everything and see if it's going to be worth your time or not. I know if I were to go 2wd, I'd be swapping in a T56 and row my own! :driving:

Thanks SS bnoon SS. I was think for the time being to leave the torsion bars and the awd spindles.

Surely some more of you guys have some ideas on this. Please help a fellow SS'er out here.

Does anybody here have any 04 AWD front-ends they would possible like to sell. If I read correctly on here

also the 04 front-ends are better right. Also want years of front-ends and vehicles will fit into my truck also.

Thanks guys.

Yeah Berserker did it years ago, an AWD to 2WD swap is completely doable; he's a regular on performancetrucks.net so you might be able to get in contact with him there. Your only performance-related issue is that you will be stuck with the lighter 1/2-ton rear-end, and it won't hold up to the punishment like the 14-bolt rear-ends in today's 2WD GM performance trucks so yours will need attention.

And about the front wheels, you don't need the front carrier or axles to keep the wheels on the truck; the load bearing is completely divorced from the drivetrain in front.

Mr. P.

what would it cost to swap a T56 in a 2wd SS, anyone know?

get ahold of KelleyPerformance, he did a T-56 conversion on his SSS :chevy:

It cost a F'n LOT. Hint - DON'T skimp on the clutch, think very high-performance dual-disc at minimum. I'm not sure if KellyPerformance has yet to get a clutch in that works really well.

Mr. P.