Engine Whine

freeman

I have a whining noise about 1500-2000 rpms, you cant hear it above or below other rpms, like a winding noise, its not constant though it has like a lope to it. Its not very loud either. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Probably not at all what you're describing as mine does it when in Park. But I too have a certain whine, almost like a vacuum type whine....But I'm almost certain that it's actually my intrument cluster, or more over, my tach servo....I thought it was coming from my tweater(bleeding through my radio), but nope....

Just throwing it out there

Edited by dawgbone (see edit history)

NO radix by chance? :jester: Thats what causes my whine in my engine bay. I would think more likely that your diff might be starting to go.

I wish :P

my truck currently has 45k and its been doing it since I got it in the beginning of January.

Edited by freeman (see edit history)

Not sure what this is but Im curious as well and I know its not the front diff cuz I know what sound that makes cuz it humms too but this sound is like supercharger whine just without the supercharger. Could it possibly be the water pump?

yea it does sound like a supercharger, but like I said, it has a lope to it, instead of a solid whine like a supercharger. Im gonna see if there is any way to record it so you guys can understand better. Ill prolly start small with stuff like the tension pulley and see if that helps.

i'm in the same boat as you. i hear it when i'm accelerating and then it stops at a point when the exhaust overcomes the sound of the whine. it does sound like a low frequency whine from a blower. what the hell is it? and i am also starting to hear a rattling or a faint clanking noise coming from the engine bay, and i have my check engine light on for the 02 sensors. sorry for the rant, just a little aggrivated now that i actually thought about it. should i put the stock tune back in and take it to chevy to have em look at it? the truck does seem to be running fine though.