Did I Lose My Tune? (zippy Tune)

2quik4u

(Let me know if i did something stupid. Just take it easy on me because im a newbie about these trucks, and its my first vehicle made in this century.)

I just bought this truck 2 weeks ago. Its an 03 SSS with some minor mods and a Zippy tuned computer. (i got the stock one too)....

Anyway, i was getting a check engine light (455 code) and thought if i unhooked the battery and unplugged the computer for awhile, maybe it would reset the light. I did this while i detailed the motor and i cleaned the air-filter. After i buttoned everything back up, i went for a cruise. The throttle response is more sluggish now. The shifts feel a lot more soft, and i don't have that kickdown acceleration when i mash it around 20mph (when it used to downshift before.) It dont pull as hard through the RPM's :dunno:

Did i accidently "reflash" my PCM? Do I need to go out and thrash on it for the computer to "learn" my driving habits? Im sorry if these are dumb questions. I can tell for sure the truck is different now.

I don't think so but they're might be some restriction in the intake or filter housing just a wild guess maybe you left a cleaing towel there.....Don't ask why I would know lol one time I was cleaing the air intake and forgot a towel there lol

I don't know if this makes any difference, but when i first started it up it was idling like crap. I shut it down when i remembered that i didn't have the MAF sensor plugged in. Is there a "relearn" mode? The computer was unhooked for a few hours.

:withstupid: sounds like a dirty MAF sensor to me, try cleaning it with some contact cleaner

I went down to the store to get the electric contact cleaner, and noticed the temps were running 20 degrees hotter than before. Sounds like it misses a bit too. It could be a loose plug wire from taking off and on the engine cover. Would my DIC tell me if a plug wasn't firing?

Im gonna start working on it now, i will let ya know what i find.

I went down to the store to get the electric contact cleaner, and noticed the temps were running 20 degrees hotter than before. Sounds like it misses a bit too. It could be a loose plug wire from taking off and on the engine cover. Would my DIC tell me if a plug wasn't firing?

Im gonna start working on it now, i will let ya know what i find.

If you have a misfire all you will get is an SES light....you said before you threw a PO455 code, that signifies a large EVAP leak(i.e. gas cap, purge vent solenoid, EVAP canister) and really doesn't have much to do with with your rough running issue.

It is rare, but your computer may need to relearn after being disconnected for several hours.......you said you detailed the engine, what method did you use to clean the engine compartment?

If you have a misfire all you will get is an SES light....you said before you threw a PO455 code, that signifies a large EVAP leak(i.e. gas cap, purge vent solenoid, EVAP canister) and really doesn't have much to do with with your rough running issue.

It is rare, but your computer may need to relearn after being disconnected for several hours.......you said you detailed the engine, what method did you use to clean the engine compartment?

I just took the covers off and wiped all the dust off the hoses, wires, and firewall with a slightly damp microfiber rag with some black magic protectant on the rag. I then used a dry rag so it didn't look greasy. Looks much better without all the road dust.

I think it was filter oil on the MAF wires. I sprayed contact cleaner on the MAF wires as well as the outside of the coils and plug wires. That stuff works good on cutting the grime off the valve covers. I then sprayed some wire-dry on the coils (not the MAF). The plug connections seemed nice and tight. Before i put the plastic back on, i took it for a drive and it seems much better now. Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this guys. :thumbs:

Im gonna put the plastic back on now. The motor isn't very pretty without em.