Yet another front end noise

18000 miles on the truck. It started about 5000 miles ago and has been getting worse. I start to here it at 25 MPH and up, only on the gas. When I let off, it goes away. Just a grinding, growl. It sounds like a bad u joint, or a loose brake caliper, but it is none of those. Plus since it goes away when I let off the gas, it sounds like a differential problem. I have had the 80-90+ noise since day one. It got less noisy when I put different wheels and tires on, but now it is back, and louder than ever. Again, when I let off the gas, it goes away. Is it the same noise I am hearing at 25+, just a different harmonic? I think so.

I took it to the dealer yesterday. He could here the noise. He said "It sounds like the front differential is shot". I had not prompted him.

The SS goes in on monday to do some more troubleshooting. I will keep you informed.

Chad

SLow--------turning, grinding/rubbing

25-40-------slight lane change/grinding

70-80--------on the gas/groan

what other speeds do we have noise and what does it sound like? I could compile the complete info to refere people to.

now here is my ideas about what makes the noise

slow----front drive shaft boots?

25-50---no idea, just turned the radio down the other day to hear it

70-80---COT function/too much fuel

I think there are some other balancing problems too, the front drive shafts have a TSB

AND the tires would benefit from balancing.

I would like to figure out these sounds too, I dont want to mod my truck if it has problems.

hope it is an easy fix falcon.

joe

update

The dealer called GM. They said it was a normal noise. The dealer did not agree, but GM would not even let them troubleshoot the problem!!!!! My service rep asked me to call the GM customer service line. I called from the dealer. The lady was very helpfull! she called my service rep on the other line!

When all was said and done, my service rep had to call his regonal service rep. He gave permision for the dealer to do anything needed to fix the truck.

Due to getting the door fixed, it will not be in to the dealer until the week after next. I will update then.

:confused: I was talking to Tom Pekowski he has I think 15K on his ss and had a noise like what you are descriging. It ended up that the wheel berrings were bad, I think he said that there were several berrings per wheel. The dealer fixed it, no noise. I dont have an email address for Tom however if you want his phone number drop me an email and I will send it to you off-line.

I guess I am lucky the service manager at my dealership owns an SS

He has found a reasonable solution to front differential noise problem.

He told me that changing the fluid in the front differential eliminates most if not all

the noise. He has found that at about 8000 miles the noise begins, and when he drains the fluid it smells burnt like bad transmission fluid. General motors will pay for this under the pretense that he fears there are metal particles in differential. Hope this helps only have 4000 on mine it`s still quiet I am just waiting for it to happen I guess they all do!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived