Plug Heat Shields

Im finally getting ready to ditch the stock plug wires and install a set of MSD wires and I got to thinking *i know, scary* Are the spark plug heat shields really needed? I havent dealt with these so I really have no idea. I mean Im used to wrap, and boots on header type applications but not a stocker. Also, do these silly little things just pop off and on?? I know, silly Q's but i figured better to ask the break stuff, cause Im really good at that :jester:

Edited by Badkarma (see edit history)

I just replaced My stockers yesterday with the MSD 8.5's and even with headers I don't think you will need any kinda of heat shield and the MSD's have those really Nice heavy duty Boots on both ends.....

my wires didnt come with any kinda heat sheilds? or is thered something im missing?

there is supposed to be small cylindrical metal shields around the plug wire boots where they connect to the spark plugs :chevy:

I put these shield on my magnacore plug wires and they caused the truck to miss like crazy on WOT runs at the track. They actually caused the CEL to go off. Once I removed these the truck ran a lot stronger and didn't miss. Not sure why the heat sheilds caused the truck to miss but they did.

I have always loved MSD wires. very well made. Ill have to monkey around with those shields, if they are to tight or i think they might cause an arching issue I will just use woven boots. should be more than enough for my application. Thanks everyone for takeing the time to replie to a topic that Im sure has already been beatin to death lol.

I have always loved MSD wires. very well made.

I used to like MSD wires just fine, but I had nothing but trouble with my MSD wires on this truck. I had 3 of the wires break on the coil end where the "snap" piece just fell off when I removed it from the coil (during header installation). I had barely 3,000 miles on them and took them off... granted I also ended up burning two on the headers after installing new ends... :banghead:

I want the Motoblue near 0 ohm per foot wires from rpmoutlet.

I'll prob get around to puttin the wired on this weekend. Just for kicks I pulled a stocker off and and measured the ohms. almost 1000! yeouch! The MSD averaged 41-45 ohms. I thaught it was odd the factory didnt bother useing any dielectric grease on them. Weird.