Powder Coating Question

keebler85

I called a local powdercoating shop and he asked if my wheels were polished or not...i have the gray 20's not the chrome 20's...and i also told him that...he said that he needed to know if the gray 20's were powdercoated or not....cause if there were then they didnt have the stuff to take the powdercoat off...if they werent then it would be like 200 to coat them and the 100 to put a high gloss finish on them....so my question is are they powdercoated from the factory or not?

cause if there were then they didnt have the stuff to take the powdercoat off...

He doesn't have a sandblaster/beadblaster/mediablaster? That would be about the first powdercoater that I have ever heard of that doesn't own one! How does he even stay open?

I'd go somewhere else, if he doesn't have the proper equipment to prep his work, I'd love to see his finished product :nonod:

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

He doesn't have a sandblaster/beadblaster/mediablaster? That would be about the first powdercoater that I have ever heard of that doesn't own one! How does he even stay open?

I'd go somewhere else, if he doesn't have the proper equipment to prep his work, I'd love to see his finished product :nonod:

no disrespect, but this may be a bit misleading. most powdercoating shops do have amedia or sand blaster. problem is these machines strip paint, rust etc very well but have extremely hard time stripping powder coat. ive had numerous sets of my mortorcycle rims coated over the years and ran into just about everything. in my experience, the best way to remove powder is to take your wheels to the local chrome shop and throw them a few dollars to drop them in the chemical bath they use before the chroming process.doesnt cost much and it gives your powder coater an extremely clean canvas to start.just my 2cents, good luck.

Well I will chime in here since I head up a powdercoating shop.

You are all correct and incorrect at the same time. First off the stock powdercoating is thin, and kind of cheap. It will come off with a sandblaster. How do I know I have done them a few times. Second of all to remove a good coating job you must first do what is called a bake off, this is where you use the oven to reverse the coating, and actually break it down. In a sense you are cooking the coating off, this makes it much easier to remove, with a blaster or other media.

Chemical baths are nice, but when it comes to powders you have to make sure all of it is gone for proper adherance.

What I would like ot know is that 300 dollars for all four wheels?

ya he asked if i knew anyone who could sand blast the wheels if they had the factory powdercoat on...i guess i will have to keep looking