Diagnose Heated Seat Failure

FwyFlyr

Ok, so, my seat heaters stay on for 2 minutes. They get warm, but not cozy. same condition on pass. seat.

I'm looking in the book and it says to use a scan tool to get codes. Is this the $40.00 scan tool from PepBoys or is it something only the Dealer has ?

Since I just got it back from the tranny shop, ( noticed it on the way home ) could a loose or otherwise bad ground cause this problem ?

Schematic shows a relay block - I/P. Where is it? Would start by checking for weak circuit Breaker.

Electronics are not my strong suit, so any help would be appreciated.

The cheap ass scan tool wont tell you anything. All you can do with the scanner at a dealership is turn the heater on or off, and that will just tell you if the switch is bad I think. The elements in the seats go bad a lot, but I dont know what you mean by it stays on for 2 minutes- if it works it works, and if it cuts off after it gets warm then the fuse blew- theres no overload circuit that cuts it off til it cools down. Mine get so hot after 5 minutes that I cant stand it, but it was only like 45 in the mornings when I would use it.

Mine use to do the same thing...would stay on for a minute or so, enough to get wamr, then shut off....after a year of not knowing what is the point of failure, and having not ever really look ino it too much...Mine now shuts off immediately....

I always figured it was a wore out relay...

I've roamed through this forum for awhile now...tons of people with seat heater problems...absolutely no resolution...at least if there is, the search sure as shit didn't index it...

The cheap ass scan tool wont tell you anything. All you can do with the scanner at a dealership is turn the heater on or off, and that will just tell you if the switch is bad I think. The elements in the seats go bad a lot, but I dont know what you mean by it stays on for 2 minutes- if it works it works, and if it cuts off after it gets warm then the fuse blew- theres no overload circuit that cuts it off til it cools down. Mine get so hot after 5 minutes that I cant stand it, but it was only like 45 in the mornings when I would use it.

They literally stay on for 2 minutes. Then turn off.....I can turn them back on so it can't be a fuse? They always used to get hot to a point I would turn them off. Took more than 5 minutes though.

I searched for this problem and found a lot of questions, but no answers. So, I'm trying to follow the manual.

I guess it is a dealer only diagnose.