Smith & Wesson M&p .40 Cal

xlr82sxs

looking into purchasing a hand gun and a smith & wesson m&p is what all of my research has come to.. the overall design and light weight polymer frame was a big plus in my decision.

have any of you heard much, or even know anything about this gun? i've read quite a few reviews on it already and everyone seems to like the overall design, ergonomics, and function of the gun..

here's a picture..

STmp_080806insetA.jpg

I would recommend you look at the Taurus PT140 millenium to compare. The PT140 is compact 10+1 stagger stack clip, 3.5" barrel. I have the 9mm PT111 version and I love it. Fits in my jeans pocket, yet is big enough to get a full confortable grip. You can find new for under $400 and used for under $300. Just giving you an option. What do you plan to use the firearm for?

I would recommend you look at the Taurus PT140 millenium to compare. The PT140 is compact 10+1 stagger stack clip, 3.5" barrel. I have the 9mm PT111 version and I love it. Fits in my jeans pocket, yet is big enough to get a full confortable grip. You can find new for under $400 and used for under $300. Just giving you an option. What do you plan to use the firearm for?

the taurus pt140 is nice gun, but i don't really plan on carrying this gun around with me much. i will be using it mostly for range firing and personal protection, the reason for the longer barrel.

i'm still researching though, so if anyone has any other suggestions, by all means..

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)

What are you getting the SW for cost wise? Range of budget? I'm sure a lot of us could throw out tons of firearms, be way over your budget. If money is much of a concern, I would also look at the HK USP in 40.

i'm not looking to spend much more than six bills.. the s&w i found locally for a little over five.

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)

this is what i carry p220 45 you can find it for about $600 to $800 its the one that I found that met all my needs. Check it out

very nice.. i had a sig sauer sp2022. they're great guns.

i would like something with a double action trigger though.

I just bought a m&p 40 and will be picking it up tomorrow... I like the way it feels and fires, I think its pretty comparable to the glock and springfield xd which I have shot both of. I am just fond of the feel of the S&W and there is a killer deal from S&W going on right now, only thing that made me think twice was the fact that it hasn't been out very long to indentify any possible problems that the m&p might have...

i'd keep it simple, glock 19 is a really good carry weapon and can be found used for under 500. they are almost indestructable, and its something you can carry for years without needed to clean it. the 15 round mag makes well when needed. i've personally carried one for years, its never failed.

another i carried for years is the sig 225, 8 round 9mm, but very very slim, and can be carried at the small of your back easily and concealibly. you can pick one up from aimsurplus.com for 259 used. which is a bargan because they are one of the most accurate guns i've shot. its listed under the name of sig p6 i believe.

the m&p is a good gun, but very big in frame, my shooting buddy just picked up a .45 m&p. it runs fine but feels more like a paintball gun when it comes down to brass tacs. i'm sure its a good gun and will suit you fine, but don't pay over 500 for a used one thats for sure. for 500 you can get a number of excellent carry weapons.

.40 cal is also a good caliber, but 9mm is what you want, the more capacity you have the better chances you have to come out of ahead of your game. and for those of you that put up their nose at 9mm let me tell you, it will stop you in your tracks. i got shot 4 years ago with a 9mm and it went through me sideways. from my shoulder to the other side of my ribs, taking out my lung and spine in the process. for the person that thinks 9mm is a joke, i'm a living example of what it can do.

if you need some more reading on it, silencertest.com's forum is a great place to learn about guns. but i warn you, you'll be suppressing everything you own. i just recently bought a full auto mac-11 with suppressor and its addicting.