Lowering And Trailering......

Hi all, I have an '04 awd SS. I love this truck and won't give it up for a new one. I would like to do some cosmetic changes to spice it up a little. I was gonna slap some 22'' wheels on it with a decent riding tire ( not a really low profile tire, maybe a 40 series) . And of course it would look silly with 22's at stock ride height. So I would like to take out 2'' of ride height, BUT ..... I like to trailer sea-doos, ski-doos and ocassionally, a open car hauler with the vette on it. At stock suspension, the rear already screams bloody murder with the car in tow. Now that being said, lowering 2'' , this truck will not tow crap anymore. I need some feedback, I know airbags might work well in the rear, as they are adjustable, but I would hate to go with those on all 4 corners. Are the airbags even strong enough to support a lowered truck, and a trailered load ???? I know I want my cake and be able to eat it too. Just wondering if anyone has some ingenious ideas here to keep this SS lokking good, but stay versatile too.

Thanks in advance......... Doug.

There is an airbag system that a few members here use and they say it works with great results... I can't remember, but I believe that bridgestone makes it... It is an add-on to your rear suspension, and its purpose it to level your truck during towing or hauling.

I will be moving to this system to help with the tongue weight of my boat and my car hauler.

Hope that helps! Remember that the search button is your friend.

Let us know if you need anything else. :thumbs:

if you lower the rear of your truck id just use springs, and do it the right way.

I was concerned about towing capabilities aswell, with a drop.

I used belltech -3 rear leafs ( ended up being about 4) any time you use drop springs, theres alot more beef to them. You wont have NEAR the sage as with stock springs. just make sure you spend some good money on new shocks, to help with the ride quality.

I towed a 24 ft tandom axle trailer with a speed boat on it (total about 6200lbs) and had no clearance, or rubbing issues at all. I also pull a 22ft car trailer with 2 sprint cars and tools in it, no issues at all.

save ur money and just get leafs :cheers:

if you lower the rear of your truck id just use springs, and do it the right way.

I was concerned about towing capabilities aswell, with a drop.

I used belltech -3 rear leafs ( ended up being about 4) any time you use drop springs, theres alot more beef to them. You wont have NEAR the sage as with stock springs. just make sure you spend some good money on new shocks, to help with the ride quality.

I towed a 24 ft tandom axle trailer with a speed boat on it (total about 6200lbs) and had no clearance, or rubbing issues at all. I also pull a 22ft car trailer with 2 sprint cars and tools in it, no issues at all.

save ur money and just get leafs :cheers:

So D.J. you had no trouble hauling??? I have to go get a car here next weekend & was wondering if it would be fine to tow it on a car trailer with the ss?

you wont have any issues promise, just place the car on the trailer correctly over the axles and youll be fine. You'll be able to pull everything you could the day you bought the truck.

the only time it even came close to rubbin is when i got the axle articulating ( like driving up a curb or something sideways )

The only thing that decreased on your truck is the actual weight you can carry in the bed, for example, you wont be able to carry 40 bags of sand and some wood for a project.