My Differential Went Bye Bye As Well...

So my bearings went on my differential. Thank god the gears were ok. They pulled it at my local ring and pinion shop that has been around for decades owned by the same guy. He removed it and rebuilt it for $543 out the door. He had it done in about 6 hours. Fantastic. Happy with his work as this is the about the fifth time I have had him underneath one of my vehicles (he's done ac oupel of rear end swaps and axle swaps on camaro's for me). So now that I am on borrowed time again for the diff life, I am seriously considering selling as I cant afford the jasper unit, correction, I refuse to invest $1800 into the driveline that isnt a new trans to drive the vehicle reliably. I'm thinking GTO as I will be moving to a warmer climate soon anyways.

what is up with all these front differentials going out? i am looking to buy an 03' ss, but all i ever here about are the differentials going bad!!! is it a bad idea to get the awd? if this many differentials are going out shouldn't they have been recalled a while ago?

Front.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I recently changed the fluid and there were some metal shavings on the plug but that is to be expected with 80k on it. Mine runs strong at the track and has had no issues thus far (knock on wood!).

I love this truck and it is fast as I need with everything I have done. But it is turning into a money pit for me. Maybe I am just being negative. I now have a seized caliper which is probably not GM's fault, but the last shop who did my rotor swap...

I haven't had any problems with mine. I recently changed the fluid and there were some metal shavings on the plug but that is to be expected with 80k on it. Mine runs strong at the track and has had no issues thus far (knock on wood!).

:withstupid: ...also knocking on wood. But mine doesn't get near the kind of hard usage that JJ's does. I'd say that's a good sign.

:withstupid: ...also knocking on wood. But mine doesn't get near the kind of hard usage that JJ's does. I'd say that's a good sign.

I may have just gotten lucky and got some of the good parts from the manufacturer. I have often felt that about a lot of my stuff because I have flogged the hell out of my truck and haven't had any catostrophic failures (again, knocking on some serious wood!).

Thats what gets me as well. I am supposedly supposed to be running a built trans by now. I have 20k miles on a COMPLETELY stock trans except for the torque converter and it has held together flawlessly...knock knock knock on wood. So I guess my truck got in line at the good trans builder bin at the plant but got a patch job diff during assembly.