Is The Starter Out Or Battery?

This question pertains to my beater(1995 Pontiac grand prix se). Car sit for a couple months so battery seemed dead. I jumped it with the ss, took it to put air in the tires and fill up the tank. I bring it back 10 mins later and shut it off. Now it won't start. I got a buddies battery charger and charged it over night. It still won't start. The interior just clicks and flashes. Same thing it did when i tried to jump it again. I'm guessing the battery won't take a charge and needs replaced. What do you guys think?

Just to be sure, and since it's got some age on it - use a VOM to check for voltage drops in battery cable connections and engine grounds while cranking, you never know but maybe you have a corroded cable end. :dunno: Also you might find out that the battery has a dead cell (only 10 volts instead of 12) etc.

Mr. P.

Just to be sure, and since it's got some age on it - use a VOM to check for voltage drops in battery cable connections and engine grounds while cranking, you never know but maybe you have a corroded cable end. :dunno: Also you might find out that the battery has a dead cell (only 10 volts instead of 12) etc.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: I would tend to lean towards a bad cable or connection leading to the battery's demise. Even if the battery were dead, it should still be able to be jumped unless the connections are totally shot. I would check/clean the connections, then jump it again, but you'll probably end up replacing it anyway.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Check the battery connections. The wifes 01 Impala wouldn't start the other day, just clicked. I pulled the positive battery cable loose and it was corroded, I cleaned it and charged the battery and it's been working fine. Also, if you have a Delco battery some of them had a problem with the positive battery terminal coming loose inside the case making them junk.

:withstupid: I would tend to lean towards a bad cable or connection leading to the battery's demise. Even if the battery were dead, it should still be able to be jumped unless the connections are totally shot. I would check/clean the connections, then jump it again, but you'll probably end up replacing it anyway.

Since it did start with a jump the first time, I was guessing the connections were OK, and since it didn't hold any charge, that the battery was toast. It certainly is easier to check the connections first before laying out for a new battery.