Where Your From

Quik

Zanesville, Ohio reporting in. Weather is just typical Ohio based weather, you get everything and anything, including a single storm starting off as a thunderstorm, turning into a blizzard, freaky but cool as hell. Got a high unemployment rate, but have several manufracturing/ware houses around, also I70 is right here, so you're only 60 miles/hour away from Columbus, Ohio. National Trail Raceway is only about 30 mins up the interstate (west). Got alot of bank forecloseurs around here, connected to the high unemployment rate, but also no one really wants to work. I work at Plaskolite, Inc. which we have no openings in our maintiance department, but we also have a General Dollar DC, AutoZone DC, Bloomer Candy, 5 B's (clothing maker/seller), AK Steel, and a crap lot of retail and food establishments, and several more Industry/Warehouse facilities, just not awake to remember them all.

is tht out towards cinci area? if so i have an ex out that way.. ohio is a consideration its similar to PA

i live in Compton Cali or LA, but as Bill already said the cost of living here sucks but u can make a good living as an electrician. i work for LA county and the electrician's here make about 56-5800 a month with benefits, vacation, sick time, and retirement so maybe thats a thought. i've been waiting a while for the apprenticeships to come back up so i can get in to the crafts myself.

-Rob

yea heard all about how cali pays alot...not a fan of earthquakes, hurricanes,tornados or flooding lol

Charleston, SC. Most things are cheaper here than in your area, i.e. homes, gas, ect. It's mostly warm, has been in the 70's the last 2 weeks, but gets hot in the late summer. Only snow we get is a fluke and is melted away in 4-6 hours. We've also been in the top 10 of nicest cities to live in several times. Most people are polite, you just have to get use to the accents and southern cooking.

In your line of work you should be able to find something just about anywhere. We have several Govt contactors here, as well as a division of Boeing and Bosch and Google is fixing to open a huge online service center. They have killer benifits I'm told.

I moved to New Jersey (from Long Island) last November after I re-married. Weather wouldn't be much different than you're used to. Plenty of industry in the state, unemployment rate is about the same as nationwide. I have about an hour / hour & a half train ride to NYC, where I work. Big drawbacks are high taxes and lots of traffic. But, gas is as cheap here as anywhere in the country. Several drag strips here. Englishtown is under a half hour from me. It's an OK place to live. I'll go to a warmer climate when I'm ready to retire.

Denton, TX, a suburb of Dallas. Home prices here are among the most reasonable in the country. Job market would be pretty good for what you do, as commercial and residential constuction is doing pretty well. With that I would think they need electricians. Weather here is warm to hot a majority of the year. Snow/sleet only last for a day or two if/when we get any. Race tracks a plenty. :thumbs: One here in Denton, Redline in Royce City which is on the east side of D/FW. Both of those are 1/8 mile. Then we have the Texas Motorplex in Ennis, 1/4 mile, which is 45 minutes south of Dallas.

Most of the tracks are open year round weather permitting.

Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

Charleston, SC. Most things are cheaper here than in your area, i.e. homes, gas, ect. It's mostly warm, has been in the 70's the last 2 weeks, but gets hot in the late summer. Only snow we get is a fluke and is melted away in 4-6 hours. We've also been in the top 10 of nicest cities to live in several times. Most people are polite, you just have to get use to the accents and southern cooking.

In your line of work you should be able to find something just about anywhere. We have several Govt contactors here, as well as a division of Boeing and Bosch and Google is fixing to open a huge online service center. They have killer benifits I'm told.

is there many hurricanes down in this area? as for hot what temps are you talking? lot of humidity? would you know average wage down there for my field

is there many hurricanes down in this area? as for hot what temps are you talking? lot of humidity? would you know average wage down there for my field

I'm not familiar with your career field so you're going to have to check out the exact job/wage situation, but I can tell you that Texas in general has the best/most-stable economy in the country right now. Everywhere else property values have tanked, that's why you don't want to be in FL or CA IMO. It doesn't cost an arm & leg to buy a nice home either. Weather in Texas provides for construction year-round, there's only 2-3 days in the winter where driving to work is a problem. AFA hurricanes, we are too far inland to be affected except that when a hurricane does land in the Houston area it will rain for 2-3 weeks straight here in north Texas. Flooding is minor, west texas (Abilene, Lubbock) are in tornado alley but the rest of Texas is not and tornadoes are extremely rare here and isolated but lets be real they are known to happen but it is not a big enough risk to put at the front of your mind (I consider it a once-in-a-lifetime event here). The real weather worry here is violent thunderstorms (no biggie IMO) and in my dozen years here a few instances of hail, but we just make sure to garage our vehicles. The state is putting in a new freeway around Dallas, from approximately Redline Raceway to Denton and population is supposed to increase like 50% in the next 20-years, so growth is good and there is a really strong automotive culture. Spring is from late Feb to about early May, summer temps are usually mid-high 90s although we've had heat waves before, and winters are mid-30s but once in a great while an arctic blast will come down and we'll have a day of 15-20 degree weather but it only lasts a day or two in general. Humidity - high in Houston, moderately high in Austin & San Antonio, north Texas is a lot better as the humidity is seasonal and should be equal or better than what you're used to. Nobody schedules outdoor activities in July-August and December-January, but that aside you can race the rest of the year.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

yea heard all about how cali pays alot...not a fan of earthquakes, hurricanes,tornados or flooding lol

yeah thats true... earthqaukes dont happen often when we do have qaukes there just small one(slite shaking) and even those are far and few in between.

-Rob

is tht out towards cinci area? if so i have an ex out that way.. ohio is a consideration its similar to PA

Zanesville, Ohio is just 60 miles east of Columbus on I-70, and about 25 miles west of I-77. Not much here, but it's an easy commute if you're willing to. Cinci is about an Hour 1/2 - 2 hours south west of Columbus on I-71. Ain't much here, but if you're willing to commute any, you got several options.

Zanesville, Ohio is just 60 miles east of Columbus on I-70, and about 25 miles west of I-77. Not much here, but it's an easy commute if you're willing to. Cinci is about an Hour 1/2 - 2 hours south west of Columbus on I-71. Ain't much here, but if you're willing to commute any, you got several options.

ok thats closer towards me now. might think of ohio..but maybe south might be option

I'm not familiar with your career field so you're going to have to check out the exact job/wage situation, but I can tell you that Texas in general has the best/most-stable economy in the country right now. Everywhere else property values have tanked, that's why you don't want to be in FL or CA IMO. It doesn't cost an arm & leg to buy a nice home either. Weather in Texas provides for construction year-round, there's only 2-3 days in the winter where driving to work is a problem. AFA hurricanes, we are too far inland to be affected except that when a hurricane does land in the Houston area it will rain for 2-3 weeks straight here in north Texas. Flooding is minor, west texas (Abilene, Lubbock) are in tornado alley but the rest of Texas is not and tornadoes are extremely rare here and isolated but lets be real they are known to happen but it is not a big enough risk to put at the front of your mind (I consider it a once-in-a-lifetime event here). The real weather worry here is violent thunderstorms (no biggie IMO) and in my dozen years here a few instances of hail, but we just make sure to garage our vehicles. The state is putting in a new freeway around Dallas, from approximately Redline Raceway to Denton and population is supposed to increase like 50% in the next 20-years, so growth is good and there is a really strong automotive culture. Spring is from late Feb to about early May, summer temps are usually mid-high 90s although we've had heat waves before, and winters are mid-30s but once in a great while an arctic blast will come down and we'll have a day of 15-20 degree weather but it only lasts a day or two in general. Humidity - high in Houston, moderately high in Austin & San Antonio, north Texas is a lot better as the humidity is seasonal and should be equal or better than what you're used to. Nobody schedules outdoor activities in July-August and December-January, but that aside you can race the rest of the year.Mr. P.
yea i seen some of the wages offered for electricians today down in texas and they are on average 10 bucks higher then it is here...i go anywhere id like to still be around the racing areas. rather it be on the bike or truck/car
yeah thats true... earthqaukes dont happen often when we do have qaukes there just small one(slite shaking) and even those are far and few in between.-Rob
that would probably scare the shit out of me..feelin the ground shake

Mass weather is not that bad at all. You really do get used to it. Some winters can be bad some can be ok. There are a lot of plants and factories around that are always looking for work. Tons of car shows and yeah New England drag way is cool to. Just my .02 oh yeah no earth quakes LOL

Edited by sick03ssbad70velle (see edit history)

Thinkin of Texas, VA, NC, SC, or GA... I do like the warm climate for the activities but also do like cool weather some.. Im used to living near a large city and getting into things. but also want to have a house in a rual area.

now out of thosse areas much feedback be nice. like where is good and where isnt to live and work. also if some could see what an Maintenance electrician is offered around there would be highly appreciated. i sent a few resumes out today..see if i get a bite back