Valve Train Noise.......

As many of you may know, my Dynatech LTs were installed this past weekend. Over the last couple days, I have been hearing a little valve train noise at idle which I figured is common. Now I am hearing prominent valve train noise at speed(in the cab)....I thought it was an intake leak at first(sounded like a sucking noise at first) but all my clamps are tight on the K&N. Upon hanging my head out the window in traffic this morning, I can definitely say that it is valve noise. I assume it is an exhaust leak of some sort since the truck runs like a champ and there are no SES lights on. I plan on tightening up the header bolts again tonight. Am I being paranoid or is there a problem? What do you guys think?

:chevy:

There is more of a "slap" sounding noise with headers, but there should be no loud clatter like valvetrain noise. Perhaps you are confusing the two... It's a good idea to recheck your header bolts anyway, so go ahead and do that, just don't overtighten them and snap one off!!!

The metal in your headers is quite a bit thinner than the stock manifolds. As a result you do hear a lot more noise through them. Definitely annoyed me the first few times I heard it, but you'll eventually get used to it.

Normal, I hear the blasted tick tick tick ......you pull alongside a car in traffic and it echos, lo. I never get used to it but I don't worry about it. Turn up the stereo!

What springs are you using? Mine got a bit quieter when I swapped in the new 918's.

Edited by TreverT (see edit history)

There is more of a "slap" sounding noise with headers, but there should be no loud clatter like valvetrain noise. Perhaps you are confusing the two... It's a good idea to recheck your header bolts anyway, so go ahead and do that, just don't overtighten them and snap one off!!!

Nope, definitely valve noise.

Same here. Seems to be the loudest when the engine is cold. My Camaro doesn't have cats on it and for some reason it seems to be worse, but in time you won't even notice it.

Hot or cold it doesn't matter which, I just hope I don't have a collector leak....we had a problem getting the drivers side cat/collecter aligned straight, it seems to have seated okay on the donut gasket, but the minor misalignment has me concerned.

Normal, I hear the blasted tick tick tick ......you pull alongside a car in traffic and it echos, lo. I never get used to it but I don't worry about it. Turn up the stereo!

What springs are you using? Mine got a bit quieter when I swapped in the new 918's.

Motor is stock internally.

Since the metal is thinner, you will hear a slight 'ringing' sound as the exhaust valve is closed back onto it's seat but this sound is not very loud and with the hood shut you can't hear it. I've been in several trucks with Dynatechs and inside the cab they sounded exactly like a stock truck (quiet) but when you lift the hood and stick your head down beside the valve cover you can hear the 'ringing' just a little louder than the injector noise, but there's no way that you should be able to hear anything by sticking your head out the window. So if it's so loud that you can hear the sound ricocheting off of cars and barriers beside you, plus if it is getting louder over time, then yeah I say you have a good old-fashioned collector leak. Another clue is that it will be worst when cold, as the system heats-up the pipes expand and quiet it down a tad, until it gets really blown. Keep driving it and if it is noticeably louder over the next few days I'd bet a dollar that's your culprit. Also you can take a regular stethescope and listen around the joint at idle, you'll hear the leak bigger than Dallas.

Mr. P.

The metal in your headers is quite a bit thinner than the stock manifolds. As a result you do hear a lot more noise through them. Definitely annoyed me the first few times I heard it, but you'll eventually get used to it.

:withstupid: you will get used to it, all headers have a different sound compared to stock manifolds