Interesting Space Shuttle Facts

SS Silv

The space shuttle absolutely blows my mind. Before I die, I want to see a live space shuttle launch.

Here are some cool facts.

*The most complex machine ever built, the space shuttle has more than 2.5 million parts, including almost 370 kilometers (230 miles) of wire, more than 1,060 plumbing valves and connections, over 1,440 circuit breakers, and more than 27,000 insulating tiles and thermal blankets.

*In 8 ½ minutes after launch, the shuttle accelerates from zero to about nine times as fast as a rifle bullet, or 28,002.6 kilometers per hour (17,400 miles per hour), to attain Earth orbit

*If the shuttle’s main engines pumped water instead of fuel, they would drain an average-sized swimming pool every 25 seconds.

*At launch, the shuttle’s two solid rockets consume more than 9.07 metric tons (10 tons) of fuel each second and produce 44 million horsepower, equal to 14,700 locomotives

(44 million phuckin' horse power :eek: )

*The three shuttle main engines produce power equivalent to 23 times that produced by the Hoover Dam

If you want to see that you will have to watch one soon. In the next few years they are going to retire the Shuttle. My brother in law works at NASA in Houston and was saying that they are going to be going back to the Luner Pods like what they used in the 60's. Not sure why but to save in cost or something.

You should def see a space shuttle launch in person. Its like the damn earth is falling apart when it takes off.

It's on my list of things to do in my lifetime, I've always wanted to see it live.

Mr. P.

The base where I work does all the testing of the engines. The test platform is about 3 miles from my building and when they do even a 30 sec test burn it rattles the whole building. There is a 10 mile buffer zone around the base just in case of a mis-hap. There is a special canal built, complete with a set of locks, so they can transport the engines to and from the test platform.

Yea 44 million HP. Now you are talking power!

:flag: