Need Some Cable Modem Help Asap!

SSThunder

OK. I'm only on-line now because of a wireless connection near by. Around 3:45 PM today all internet stopped working. I've got a cable modem deal with the local cable company and use a motorola cable modem. All lights lite up fine, but my power light starts blinking after a few seconds. I've switched outlets and still the connection sucks. I can't get on-line at all even though the "my" wireless connection says it's great. I'm just wondering if the modem is messed up? What do you IT guys think? I work from home so if I can't get on-line then I'll have to take a PTO day Friday. any ideas how to fix?

Sounds like it could be a power supply problem. Contact your cable company to see what they think. P.S. I work for the cable company...

A couple other things to try...

- If your modem has a reset button try pressing that for a few seconds. If not, unplug the power from the back of the modem for a few seconds and then plug it back in.

- Try release/renew in the cmd prompt (DOS). Go to Run, type in CMD, once the DOS screen pops up type ipconfig. You will see your IP. On the next line, type ipconfig /release. On the next line type ipconfig /renew. Now wait a few seconds and see if you can get online.

- If that doesn't work, try going into network settings and disable you Local Area Connection. Then Re-enable it. See if it works.

- Go to 192.168.100.1 and look at the diagnostics. Downstream power level should be somewhere inside

-8 to +8dBmv and upstream levels should be somewhere in between +40 to +53dBmv. You can deviate a little bit from these numbers but only a couple points for it to still be within working range. These numbers will change with ambient temperature outside.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Edited by foxySS (see edit history)

called the cable company and the got the numbers to the modem from me and they looked at it. Guy worked on it for a little while and got it going again. It's working fine now, too bad I had to take a PTO day on a crappy rainey day :banghead: