Why Did Chevy Switch Back To Drums In Rear?

Les Hall

I can't really tell you why, but I'm sure someone on here can. All I know is I've been wondering the same thing since I got my 05. I'm saving up for posi rear end and disc brakes cuz I hate them too :cheers: . My truck is just a 1500 so i guess it wasn't exclusively on SS's. Only thing I can think of is maybe drums are cheaper cuz they sure as hell don't work or look better.

to fix the e brake was only part of the problem. they did it to get rid of the mushy pedal feel and believe it or not, drums have way better pad contact are than a disk set up and stop way better than a disk, only down side is they dont disipate heat very well like a disk set up

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

to fix the e brake was only part of the problem. they did it to get rid of the mushy pedal feel and believe it or not, drums have way better pad contact are than a dick set up and stop way better than a disk, only down side is they dont disipate heat very well like a disk set up

A DICK set up :jester:

to fix the e brake was only part of the problem. they did it to get rid of the mushy pedal feel and believe it or not, drums have way better pad contact are than a disk set up and stop way better than a disk, only down side is they dont disipate heat very well like a disk set up

:withstupid: GM also had a corrosion issue on the parking brake setup on models with 4-wheel disc. Going back to rear drums and big front discs solved the problem. Keep in mind that a rear disc conversion for the SSS is upwards of $1k. The drums don't look half bad when painted with flat black caliper paint, and the stock RWD front brake set up is as good as or better then the Baer front setup.

• 2 weeks later...

more power goes to the rear end on the 2wd. the used a larger rearend on the 06 2wd, this model rear did not come with a disc setup. i guess they didnt want to invest in the time for a truck that ran for 2 yrs.

:withstupid: GM also had a corrosion issue on the parking brake setup on models with 4-wheel disc. Going back to rear drums and big front discs solved the problem. Keep in mind that a rear disc conversion for the SSS is upwards of $1k. The drums don't look half bad when painted with flat black caliper paint, and the stock RWD front brake set up is as good as or better then the Baer front setup.

yuo can do the disk conversion for alot less then 1k.....all 10 bolt stuff bolts right up!!!!!

and the stock RWD front brake set up is as good as or better then the Baer front setup.

I somewhat agree with you there. With city driving I don't notice any difference between the stock setup and the Baer's. But stopping from higher speeds there is a lot less brake fade than the stockers. So for that it was worth it, but I still wish I had saved up and gotten the 6 piston over the Alumasports.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the deal on this..

My friend's '05 taco prerunner (2wd) had drums in the rear.

Drum brakes dont get nearly as bad brake fade throughout heavy braking. Like, virtually no brake fade actually, because it runs on servo action. Basically the pads get jammed really hard into the drum (servo = pads push out, catches the spinning rotor, gets pushed down like a ****** and slams into an iron like stopper), so even if its ridiculously hot, it will still stop you. 4 Wheel discs are better, but if your goin pretty fast and you keep stoppin hard, going and stoppin hard again, the brakes will start to lose some serious braking power.

Drums are just for lessening bad brake fade, and they work more effectively on heavier stuff like trucks