Potential Problem (nitrous Application)

I was coming home tonight and I have been doing some adjustments on my nitrous system and decided I wanted to test it again to make sure everything was working properly. So i get my bottle up to pressure and im running full throttle and the truck shifts to 2nd gear and I spray, watching all of my gauges and EVERYTHING looked fine. I sprayed and then stopped spraying to let the truck shift. and sprayed once more(again at full throttle).Then I notice my lights going dim and the battery light in the dash comes on. The DIC says "battery not charging" and I notice that my power steering starts to go away and then comes back. Again ALL of my gauges are fine and reading where there suppost to. No check engine light, No limp mode, nothing. This leads me to beleive that the belt is slipping. Am I correct in this assumption OR is this a sign of things to come? Im probably going to change my belt ( recommendations of a good brand will be appreciated) and hopefully this will fix the problem.

Tell me what you guys think.

I just ordered one of these,might help your problem.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-Cams-1998-2002-F-BODY-LS1-LSX-BELT-TENSIONER-54025_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ38656QQihZ003QQit

mZ130215374121QQtcZphoto

ebay item # if link no worky,130215374121

Edited by allballz57 (see edit history)

hmm , it almost seems that your solenoids are pulling to much juice . one thing i can think is disconnet your supply lines to your solenoids , hook up a voltmeter to the battery or alt , somewhere youll get a good signal , with the truck running. and hit the go button ( again make saure your not going to spray anything , just to see what your voltage drops too. anything upgraded on your chrage system ? the 105 amp alt is joke imo.

well i doubt your belt could slip that much , especially since you dont have anything thats causing it to load the belt.

so id guess this is your problem , i forgot what the voltage that sets off the not charging light but if it were dropping below 11 id guess it to be the culprit. a easy change imo would be either upgrading the alt to a 145 gm unit or somethign more depending on budget, upgrade your wiring ( search big 3) and possibly a good battery , and most of all a good connection from your battery to your solenoids.

I agree with Chase. One other item you may look into is your crank pulley. I know you don't have a blower however you may have crank pulley spinning issues...not likely but something to check nonetheless.

sorry for sounding like a newb but...how do I check for that?

For the crank or the electrical?

Crank, just put a deep socket on the crank pulley bolt and tighten it. If it tightens at all, there is a chance the pulley was spinning on the crank. If it does tighten, get a new crank bolt and follow the GM procedure on installing a new one. Maybe consider a pinning kit. AGAIN, this is not likely but is within the realm of possibilities. To really confirm, you need to take the pulley off and examine the crank end for damage.

I would lean to electrical demand and belt slipping. Get a goodyear gatorback belt from Summit Racing. :cheers:

sometimes bad ground do funky things with weird symptoms but it sounds like your battery is either done or your alt, you need to have your truck running put a volt meter on it and see if the voltage stay around 14 volts.

so if its my alternator, ill need a bigger one correct? and what is involved in crank pinning?

Check your voltage drop when the solenoids kick in and fix that first. It could too small a feed wire to the nitros sysyem, or the Alternator is not keeping up.

If you want to check out the Crank Pinning look at Krambo's How to

Crank Pinning Sticky

CD