5th Wheel/gooseneck

MaxCrew4x4

Looking to use my V-max to pull a 5th wheel travel trailor. Found a 25 foot Fith wheel rated at 6800 and I went to my owners manual and its says my truck is capable of 8500. But I notice on my model, 07 K1500 Crew short 3.73 it says not intended for 5th wheel or gooseneck? Whats the reason? is anyone usig their's to pull Travel trailor?

Looking to use my V-max to pull a 5th wheel travel trailor. Found a 25 foot Fith wheel rated at 6800 and I went to my owners manual and its says my truck is capable of 8500. But I notice on my model, 07 K1500 Crew short 3.73 it says not intended for 5th wheel or gooseneck? Whats the reason? is anyone usig their's to pull Travel trailor?

I've been looking to bye a 5th wheel also iwas going to go with a 28 ultra light...

If you have the V-Max package you should have 4:10's. Your truck is an 07 classic right?

The gearing Is going to help you with getting that trailor out of the hole and keep it in the power band up steep grades at a decent mph. Your 2k under the max weight so I wouldnt worry about it. Just try to keep her light and dont load the trailer up with water or fuel till you get where you going. The less weight the better!

I've been looking to bye a 5th wheel also iwas going to go with a 28 ultra light...

If you have the V-Max package you should have 4:10's. Your truck is an 07 classic right?

The gearing Is going to help you with getting that trailor out of the hole and keep it in the power band up steep grades at a decent mph. Your 2k under the max weight so I wouldnt worry about it. Just try to keep her light and dont load the trailer up with water or fuel till you get where you going. The less weight the better!

Thanks for the reply.

Its the NBS and has 3.73 gears. Its the Vortec Max but does not have the optional trailoring package. It came with a receiver hitch, and light hook up factory. Its the LTZ package too. Not sure, I could post a pic of my window sticker? I think the main concern is the shorter short bed and getting the 5th into the cab.

This came strait from the Chevrolet web site (Build your own) I only have the first option thus 3.73 gears

• Engine, , Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI, with Active Fuel Management, (367 hp [273.7 kW] @ 5500 rpm, 375 lb-ft of torque [506.3 N-m] @ 4300 rpm), includes (KC4) external engine oil cooler, (KNP) auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, (AXN) hybrid 9.5" (24.1 cm) trailering axle and door badge that reads "Vortec Max" (L76) $1,000.00

<LI>Max Trailering Pack, includes (L76) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, (AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle, (N56) 4 - 17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug custom aluminum wheels, (T96) fog lamps, (JD9) front and rear disc brakes and (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment $1,260.00

I can't say why GM says not for use with a 5th wheel :dunno: Several here have done it no problem, a couple guys tow their race cars with VHOs... Yours certainly has the rear axle for it, just make sure the trailer has good trailer brakes.

Mr. P.

short bed.. :smash:

i was looking into buying trailers back in 04 when i was relocating back to CA. every RV dealer i went to stated i could not pull a 5th wheel with the SS. so i ask WHY.. :confused: and all there charts stated because of the 6' bed there would not be enough clearance between the cab and the front of the trailer when turning more then 45-55* left or right..the ONLY way you could pull a 5th wheel with our short beds, is to get a slider hitch, which would allow you to slid the king pin plate back far enough to make sharp turns, then slid it forward when you complete your turn. BIG down fall is it's price, and most RV dealers will sell them, but NOT install them due to liability reasons..

goose neck, same reason, except if you have no front overhang on the trailer you will be good..

good luck

:seeya:

short bed.. :smash:

i was looking into buying trailers back in 04 when i was relocating back to CA. every RV dealer i went to stated i could not pull a 5th wheel with the SS. so i ask WHY.. :confused: and all there charts stated because of the 6' bed there would not be enough clearance between the cab and the front of the trailer when turning more then 45-55* left or right..the ONLY way you could pull a 5th wheel with our short beds, is to get a slider hitch, which would allow you to slid the king pin plate back far enough to make sharp turns, then slid it forward when you complete your turn. BIG down fall is it's price, and most RV dealers will sell them, but NOT install them due to liability reasons..

goose neck, same reason, except if you have no front overhang on the trailer you will be good..

good luck

I'm going to take my truck and see what the boys down at the local truck accessories have to say about it. I can hear it now "you want to pull what with what". Anyway...... You guys rock thanks for the input. Anything else you think of let me know.

:seeya:

Follow up:

Went to look at the 5th Wheel yesterday, come to find out its been changed to a gooseneck which is fine with me. I'm from Oklahoma and even though I got a beater for work, another gooseneck can always come in handy. Called the local Truck Accessories told them I wanted a goosneck,they asked what truck I had, told them and they asked "3/4 or 1 ton". I relpied half, "is it a heavy half"? To keep things simple I said yes. They had one in stock. I Could not believe it. Got there had it put in every thing is good. As I was paying ($450.00 installed hide a ball) I asked you guys put many in 1/2 T's. They said "first crew with the 5.5 bed, should be ok just make sure not to get into the cab you may want to get a slider". Which is like a receiver hitch that moves the ball back in the truck. Check out the pictures, and my bed is not as scratched as the pictures look, I guess it was all the dust? What do you guys think?

post-15236-1208914515_thumb.jpg

post-15236-1208914536_thumb.jpg

post-15236-1208914687_thumb.jpg

Okay, what about brakes? The 7 prong light on the truck says electric brakes. If the trailor is a seven prong plug are the brakes going to work just by pluging them in? Never delt with electric brakes before. I know you use to have to get a control and other things. Need some help!

Okay, what about brakes? The 7 prong light on the truck says electric brakes. If the trailor is a seven prong plug are the brakes going to work just by pluging them in? Never delt with electric brakes before. I know you use to have to get a control and other things. Need some help!

yea the control allows you to turn the brakes down when you are towing an empty or light trailer so the brakes dont lock up, or turn it up when carrying something heavy so they actually help slow the trailer down

• 2 weeks later...

i pulled a 26' gulfstream loaded with fresh water and lots of ice and beer. it pulled really good for a small block. i have the factory trailer brakes and they worked great. coming back both black and grey tanks were pretty much full and i had just bought water so it was about 90%.... really loaded. but it did pretty good and i was pleased. i wish i would have gotten a 5th wheel now. but like you said it might not have fit. after pulling this bumperpull, i would not think twice on a 5th wheel camper if it would fit in the bed and still turn ok