Question For You Gm Dealers

Lefty

I have been looking for a 08 Sierra Denali now for a while. So far, nothing our local dealers are getting match what I have been looking for.

I found out yesterday that our local dealer has one on order that matches exactly what I am looking for. The order was apparently placed on 4/9 and has not invoiced yet, so they have no idea when they are getting it. It doesn't have a VIN yet either, so it is likely it hasn't been built yet either.

I told my sales consultant and the sales manager I have bought my last 3 GM's from that I wanted the truck. It was later in the day so he said he would call tomorrow (today) and get all the particulars.

So, I get a call today. They are trying to tell me that they cannot get any info on the build or vehicle because GM assembly workers are on strike. They continued to say that they are not even sure that the order will arrive as an 08 and may get pushed to 09. However, they then tried to persuade me that if I gave them a deposit and had them switch the order from a general dealer order to a custom order that it is more likely to be built and delivered.

Now, I don't remember anything about a UAW strike...WTF is the deal here? Is my dealer just feeding me a line of crap or what? I have placed custom orders through them before and never experienced anything like this before.

(Okay, so google tells me that American Axle/UAW is on strike in MI and OH and that affects the GM truck division).

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

I can't believe they can not locate u one at another dealer (to trade with). U must be wanting a silver birch Denali then right? That has to be the rarest color on them.....

I mean there are not many otions on that truck, they are pretty hard-loaded in stock base form. What are the options anyways? Sunroof, nav, and ???

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Actually, I am looking for white. The dealer has two SB, but I do not like that color at all. So, they have inventory to trade with.

The only options above the 5SA package I am looking for is the trailering package, 20" Wheels, DVD, Sunroof. I guess one of the things that is making it really hard is that I want the integrated trailer brake controller. The first run 08's did not have them in the trailering equipment package, but the second runs do.

They aren't BS'ing you, rather they told you the wrong information. The strike is actually taking place within the manufacturers/assemblers that supply the GM truck axles in all of the GMT900 platform. Just search "GM axle strike" on Yahoo and Google and you will get plenty of results.

If they placed the order 4/9, it is def. going to be affected by the strike. I'm sure the order is "in the system" (placed), but has not yet been moved to "in production" status. Likely, it will not until the strike is over, the plants are currently near idle. All of our new truck orders are on stand still. Now for the invoice, the dealer will not recieve an invoice until after the truck is already built and it has left the factory for transportation to the dealer. Once your dealer recieves the invoice, the truck should be there anywhere between 2-4 weeks depending on where you are located.

The dealer isn't "custom" ordering you a truck per se, rather ordering it as a sold unit, which will up the pecking order so to speak of the build order. This might get you the truck a few weeks earlier. Usually it doesn't mean much. We have placed stock orders and sold orders on the same day and got our stock ordered trucks before the ones we ordered sold. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

Once the truck goes into production, it will be assigned a vin. Your dealer should be able to go on the ordering network (its updated every Tuesday or Thursday...something stupid like that) to tell you when the truck goes in to production and give you a TPW, etc, etc.

The good thing is that the axle workers are going back to the barganing table, so hopefully they can get something resolved!