Got A Problem

this is a fresh rebuilt 408 from LME with about 15 miles on it. at idle there is a very bad knock noise coming from the bottom of the motor, but as soon as i give it any gas it goes completely away. its idling around 800rpm and if i keep it around 1000rpm its gone. its not exhaust hitting on anything, oil pressure at idle is around 50psi and goes up to 80ish with the throttle. I have a couple of suggestions but i want to hear what other people think.

VIDEO

this is a fresh rebuilt 408 from LME with about 15 miles on it. at idle there is a very bad knock noise coming from the bottom of the motor, but as soon as i give it any gas it goes completely away. its idling around 800rpm and if i keep it around 1000rpm its gone. its not exhaust hitting on anything, oil pressure at idle is around 50psi and goes up to 80ish with the throttle. I have a couple of suggestions but i want to hear what other people think.

VIDEO

I'd contact LME.

:withstupid: Something's busted in the rotating assembly of the motor for sure, it's frequency/rhythm is too slow to be valvetrain IMO. I'd call it rod knock; you might try listening to the intake and exhaust manifolds with a mechanic's stethescope (probe) to pinpoint which cylinder it is but that sounds like it's hammering so lound you'll never figure out which one it is because of the echo inside the crankcase. I'd pull the oil pan but you better contact the manufacturer and ask how they want you to proceede.

Mr. P.

Another way to figure out which cylinder it is, do a cylinder ignition/injector kill test, the knock will be far less pronounced when the cylinder is "coasting" vs. making power.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

it runs on the street too good and has too good of oil pressure for something to be busted in the rotating assembly. I have ran it up to 6000 rpm driving it.

Then I'm stumped! :confused: Maybe it's something in the bellhousing? Loose flexplate bolt? Converter issue? I dunno...

Mr. P.

it runs on the street too good and has too good of oil pressure for something to be busted in the rotating assembly. I have ran it up to 6000 rpm driving it.

Call LME right away....did they do the install or was it a DIY install?.....was the windage tray clearanced for the longer stroke (could be wrong this may only apply to F-Bodies)?

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

Call LME right away....did they do the install or was it a DIY install?.....was the windage tray clearanced for the longer stroke (could be wrong this may only apply to F-Bodies)?

I bet its the windage tray also. I had to space mine for clerance for the added stroke with my 408. So did you put it on or them?

I have been running this 408 for a little over 3 years now so the windage tray is fine, With the last rebuild the motor has ran for a few hours while i was tuning the idle and letting every thing get set. it has about 100 miles on it now and i still have never gone over half throttle. the noise started after it had only 15 miles on it.

I just went through this SAME EXACT NOISE on my recent trans installation. On mine, I crawled under with it running and found that the noise seemed to be coming from the converter/starter area behind the bell housing. I pulled the starter to find slight nick marks on the edge of the aluminum area near the gear teeth. It seemed to be cocked just enough to touch the converter bolts as they came by, and/or the edge of some of the teeth, or maybe a balance weight on the flywheel?. I simply reinstalled the starter while making sure the starter stayed "straight" as it was tightened. Noise hasn't come back...