New Mod Plans

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but I am finaly back to modding the SSS and want some feedback on some of the products I plan on using. I've searched a lot for the Wilwood Front had 16 inch 6 piston and found very few guys on the forum run this setup and the majority prefer the baer 6s extreme kit. I'm leaning towards the wilwood kit and I was wondering if you guys had any info on whether this would be a good choice.

Furthermore I've been noticing the ride is getting a bit rough compared to normal and I'm planning on going with the bilstein shock upgrade and the hotchkis sway bar upgrade as well.

Feedback on these products? Are there better choices? Thanks a lot

Hey man, good to see you :thumbs:

Wilwood vs. Baer - I've heard (read) from another Wilwood owner that the Baers stop better :dunno: but that's just hearsay. If you go with the Wilwoods I'm pretty sure that you will HAVE to run 22" rims, 20's probably won't fit. I've got the Baer 6S and 20's are the minimum rim diameter.

Hotchkis kit - yeah good kit IMO. Not great, but good.

Shocks - gotta confess I'm still rollin on the stockers and they're shot :uhoh:

Mr. P. :)

i am still amazed by your garage... haha

yeah those wilwoods are huge! imo they're over kill, especially if you're pretty stock speed wise...

as for the shocks, i've heard nothing but good things about the blisteins. You can also go with the edelbrock ias, and many even like the monro's. All i gotta say is, don't wait till ya shock is totally busted because it can cause a lot of damage, trust me, i know. Then again i am dropped almost to the max and with as many nice cars as ya got buyin new tires is nothing haha jk

good to see you post again.

i can say im very happy with the baer's but that doesent mean they are best

you will get more surface area to contact the pad with the wilwoods, however you may indeed need to run 22 at least. the rears are also 4 piston which is a bit better than the baer. Another option is the brembo kit which has 15 rotors with 8 piston calipers front and rear. which is awesome. but imo you wont see difference between the 6 and 8 pistons. the brembo are also only drilled no slots .

I've installed the Baer Alumasport package, and it's a major improvement over stock. I can't even guess how much better the bigger 6S package would be. I also installed Bilstein shocks, and I'm very happy with the ride improvement; feels much more controlled, with less "wallowing". While I was at it, I also added the Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings and endlinks. A very good upgrade for very little money.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

the Wilwood Front had 16 inch 6 piston and found very few guys on the forum run this setup and the majority prefer the baer 6s extreme kit. I'm leaning towards the wilwood kit and I was wondering if you guys had any info on whether this would be a good choice.

I have the Willwood 16 inch 6 piston Big Brake Kit drilled and slotted rotors on the front only on the stock 20 inch sss Wheels. I've had them on my 2004 SSS for 6 months now and i love them. Breaking is Fantastic they just started to get a faint brake squeel every now and then, I just hit the brakes lightly and it goes away. I've also notest that the hotter they get the better they work. The only thing better than the way they stop this big heavy truck is the way they look. I get alot of comments on how great they look, they really fill up the 20 inch wheels. After I get My 122HH, I plan on getting the new 16 inch rear big brake kit also. If your going to get the Willwood Big Brake Kit, get the red power coat calipers with the laser engraving logo it looks a lot better than the milled engraving.

Hey man, good to see you :thumbs:

Wilwood vs. Baer - I've heard (read) from another Wilwood owner that the Baers stop better :dunno: but that's just hearsay. If you go with the Wilwoods I'm pretty sure that you will HAVE to run 22" rims, 20's probably won't fit. I've got the Baer 6S and 20's are the minimum rim diameter.

Hotchkis kit - yeah good kit IMO. Not great, but good.

Shocks - gotta confess I'm still rollin on the stockers and they're shot :uhoh:

Mr. P. :)

Thanks Steve. I'm now sort of torn between the two choices for the baer or wilwood. Are there any other sway bar kits than hotchikis for these trucks?

i am still amazed by your garage... haha

yeah those wilwoods are huge! imo they're over kill, especially if you're pretty stock speed wise...

as for the shocks, i've heard nothing but good things about the blisteins. You can also go with the edelbrock ias, and many even like the monro's. All i gotta say is, don't wait till ya shock is totally busted because it can cause a lot of damage, trust me, i know. Then again i am dropped almost to the max and with as many nice cars as ya got buyin new tires is nothing haha jk

Still haven't got around to renovating the garage yet, its just too small :lol: For shocks, everyone seems pretty happy with the bilsteins so those are likely 99% for me. I just read about your shitty luck, thats rough, hope you got the truck fixed up.

good to see you post again.

i can say im very happy with the baer's but that doesent mean they are best

you will get more surface area to contact the pad with the wilwoods, however you may indeed need to run 22 at least. the rears are also 4 piston which is a bit better than the baer. Another option is the brembo kit which has 15 rotors with 8 piston calipers front and rear. which is awesome. but imo you wont see difference between the 6 and 8 pistons. the brembo are also only drilled no slots .

Everytime I come on here, your truck just keeps getting more amazing chase. I haven't investigated the brembo kit at all, do you know what the front and rear will cost? I've been shopping around and so far, it seems the Wilwoods would be about 2700 for fronts and 1500 for rears, quite similar to the baer 6s.

I've installed the Baer Alumasport package, and it's a major improvement over stock. I can't even guess how much better the bigger 6S package would be. I also installed Bilstein shocks, and I'm very happy with the ride improvement; feels much more controlled, with less "wallowing". While I was at it, I also added the Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings and endlinks. A very good upgrade for very little money.

I think I'll do the polyurethane sway bar bushings and endlinks as well, seems like a smart move. Since you have the alumnasport do you think the extra cash for the 6 piston setups are worth the cash, or are the alumnasports more than sufficient already?

the Wilwood Front had 16 inch 6 piston and found very few guys on the forum run this setup and the majority prefer the baer 6s extreme kit. I'm leaning towards the wilwood kit and I was wondering if you guys had any info on whether this would be a good choice.

I have the Willwood 16 inch 6 piston Big Brake Kit drilled and slotted rotors on the front only on the stock 20 inch sss Wheels. I've had them on my 2004 SSS for 6 months now and i love them. Breaking is Fantastic they just started to get a faint brake squeel every now and then, I just hit the brakes lightly and it goes away. I've also notest that the hotter they get the better they work. The only thing better than the way they stop this big heavy truck is the way they look. I get alot of comments on how great they look, they really fill up the 20 inch wheels. After I get My 122HH, I plan on getting the new 16 inch rear big brake kit also. If your going to get the Willwood Big Brake Kit, get the red power coat calipers with the laser engraving logo it looks a lot better than the milled engraving.

Very cool, with just the front kit is the braking uneven at all? How much was your kit? Thanks

it seems the Wilwoods would be about 2700 for fronts and 1500 for rears,

Very cool, with just the front kit is the braking uneven at all? How much was your kit? Thanks

The breaking is even with just the Willwood fronts and stock rears. I was worried about that also before I purchased the front only kit. I talked with Willwood Tech and he told me that I would not have any problems because of the ABS on the truck. I paid 2800.00 for the kit with every option and stainless brake lines and shipping from Thrdyne when they were still in business.

I think I'll do the polyurethane sway bar bushings and endlinks as well, seems like a smart move. Since you have the alumnasport do you think the extra cash for the 6 piston setups are worth the cash, or are the alumnasports more than sufficient already?

That's a tough call, since all I can compare the Alumasports to is the stock setup. For street driving, I'd say the Alumasports are definitely more than sufficient. For me, the 6 pistons would have been WAAAY over-kill. Of course, my nice red calipers are probably only half the size of the 6S kit, so the looks may not be quite as stunning. I guess it all depends on your goals...