Another Oil Leak

Fireman31

Yeah as the title says, my SSS has developed ANOTHER leak. :mad: Two weeks ago I had what appeared to be an oil pan gasket leak, which was confirmed by the dealer. The gasket was replaced under warranty. Sunday morning I saw drips on my driveway again, so I crawled under to see what it was, low and behold it was another oil leak in the same location. Even worse, there was oil running down both sides of the bell housing this time, not just one. It had every symptom of a botched oil pan gasket job. I took her to the dealer today again and I just got a phone call saying that they are dropping the trans out of her because they think it's the rear main seal. :banghead: This will make the third time the trans will be out of the SS, and this also marks leak number 6 that I have had. I am starting to get annoyed now, the truck is just about two years old and has just about 30k on it.....this stuff shouldn't be happening. :fume: I will say that the SLP 402 long block is starting to look appealing to me now. :uhoh:

A little leak history...

leak 1-lower radiator hose

leak 2-water pump

leak 3-oil filter/strainer assembly bolts loose

leak 4-defective PI converter

leak 5-oil pan gasket

leak 6- rear main seal apparently

What do you guys think it is? I popped the inspection cover on the bell housing and it felt dry inside to me, and there didn't appear to be anything coming out of the weep hole where the bell housing meets the block. The bulk of the oil is on the sides and bottom of the oil pan, and the edges of the bell housing. I am going to stop there on my way home to see exactly what is going on.

Sorry for the long post, I am not a very happy person right now. :rant:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo dan check your oil fill tube on your valve cover and make sure its pushed in all the way. i had a similar oil leak that didn't go away until i found mine wasn't seated all the way down.

Rear main seals dont leak on these motors, there is a cover plate that goes on in the same place behing the bellhousing on the motor that might leak, you cant tell until the trans is out though. If they tell you its the rear main theyre lying

thats a lot of leaks in a short amount of time. maybe try another dealer?

I know a bunch of guys there so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :ninja:

Dan... did you look at the dipstick tube? Maybe I didn't get it seated in all the way? :dunno:

Yeah I checked that too, the area was bone dry. :dunno:

hey dan that stinks! nothing makes me more angry than to see or have things continuously go wrong on a chevy. i talk alot of smack to everyone that owns anything else. and it all comes right back to you when something stupid like this happens. when you get that thing back on the road...island!!

Rear main seals dont leak on these motors, there is a cover plate that goes on in the same place behing the bellhousing on the motor that might leak, you cant tell until the trans is out though. If they tell you its the rear main theyre lying

I got the full explanation of what happened when I picked her up at 6pm.........It wasn't the rear main seal, it was the rear engine cover assembly that was leaking. Replacing the rear main seal is part of the repair procedure that was put out by GM.

It was covered under the following TSB(thanks AllData).....

Engine - Oil Leak From Rear Cover Assembly Area

Bulletin No.: 05-06-01-034E

Date: February 12, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:

5.3L LC9, LS4, L33, LH6, LM4, 5.7L LS1, LS6, 6.0L LS2, L76, 6.2L L92, 7.0L LS7 - Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area (Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure)

Models:

2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2005-2007 Cadillac CTS-V

2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2007 Chevrolet Corvette, TrailBlazer

2004-2006 Chevrolet SSR

2005-2007 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado SS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, TrailBlazer SS

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 GMC Envoy, Sierra

2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

2007 GMC Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

2005-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

with 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L VORTEC™ GEN III or GEN IV V8 Engine (RPOs LC9, LS4, L33, LH6, LM4, LS1, LS6, LS2, L76, L92, LS7)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-034D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak.

Cause

Upon initial diagnosis, it may be determined that the leak is coming from the rear cover gasket. This condition may be caused by engine block porosity on the sealing surface. This issue pertains to aluminum block applications only.

Correction

Follow the steps for Oil Leak Diagnosis in SI to determine the source of the leak. If the leak has been diagnosed as coming from the engine rear cover assembly, refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and remove the engine rear cover assembly. Inspect for engine block porosity where the engine rear cover mates to the engine block. If porosity is found anywhere on the sealing surface, use the following procedure to apply RTV to repair the engine block porosity. Refer to the illustration below.

Clean any residual oil from the block and cover before applying the sealant in the next step.

Wipe a small amount of RTV, P/N 12378521 (in Canada, use P/N 88901148), onto the surface using a plastic scraper to fill the porosity.

Remove any excess RTV material, especially from inside the high pressure oil passage. Refer to # 1 in the above illustration. The joint may be closed immediately after applying the RTV. Total joint time after the RTV has been applied must be under 20 minutes.

Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI and follow the tightening specifications and sequence.

Reinstall the engine rear cover using a new gasket and a new crankshaft rear main seal. Refer to Engine Rear Cover Replacement in SI.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

ummmm rear main leak all the time on the gen 3 and 4 engines. it is a wiper seal and they fail often.

LMAO...its Danny not Ashley

Edited by fastash (see edit history)