Truck Shutting Down At A Stop

silverss05

Has anyone else had a problem with their truck shutting down when coming to a stop? Yesterday

I was driving to pick up my girlfriend to go eat. She lives probably like 4 miles from my house. When I would apply the brakes my truck would shut down and then it seemed like the ABS was kicking in, probably cause it had no power i'm guessing? this happened to me twice in those 4 miles. Has this happened to anyone else? Truck sitting in the shop trying to figure out what's going with it.

I have this problem occasionally still too. When I had my pcmforless tune in it never happened, but now with my stock pcm back in it still does this occasionally.

The truck is stock except an intake and exhaust. So whatever the stock idle is thats what its set up at. The dealer just called and said its not doing whatever I said its doing. That pisses me off to hear that from them. Can it still be the battery if its only shutting down when Im already driving? How should I check the alternator?

There could be a few reasons for this but I was having some ruff idle issues, almost die but did not. I did the seaform trick in the vacum line and it has been smooth since. all so gained a 1/2 mpg. This was on the dd with higher miles and I doubt it was ever done. It's a cheap shot at it.

Have your battery and alternator tested. :chevy:

:withstupid:

The truck is stock except an intake and exhaust. So whatever the stock idle is thats what its set up at. The dealer just called and said its not doing whatever I said its doing. That pisses me off to hear that from them. Can it still be the battery if its only shutting down when Im already driving? How should I check the alternator?

you pull it and have it spun on a tester.

sounds like me when my battery was not holding a charge.

I would check the MAF for oil/dirt since you have an intake, also check for vacuum lines that may have worked loose.

Also, if you're already at a stop (in drive), release and press the brake several times in a row. If it dies just from that, you may have a bad vacuum booster diaphram.

The sea foam cleaner is good stuff, but usually only cures rough idle, not a complete stall from simply coming to a stop. I'd say you've got something a little more serious going on here that you'll have to do some more diagnosing to check it out.

I had a similar problem with my truck a couple of weeks ago, when I used to brake at stop my rpm's would drop to below 1000, and the truck just idleing it would shut off and right after a check engine light came on. So I took in to the dealer and told me it was a bad fuel pump. I know one member said he went through many fuel pumps also before he found Out it was something else, good luck!

Also, if you're already at a stop (in drive), release and press the brake several times in a row. If it dies just from that, you may have a bad vacuum booster diaphram.

:withstupid: this has got to be it! I have tried all of those other alternatives, checked battery, alternator, had it in to the dealer, cleaned intake, maf, everything else i could think of and it still does this. I have been having this problem since the day i bought the truck almost a year ago! and a year later and multiple visits to the dealer i have yet to figure it out! i am def gonna try this on the way home, but if my memory serves me correctly, when it dies on me it has been in stop and go traffic!