91 Octane

SS Silv

I let my wife drive my truck for a month while her car was in the shop. She was putting in 87 for that whole month. After about a week after she stopped driving it it gave me a check engine light. Got the code read and it was 2 o2 sensors giving the engine light. Bought some fuel injector cleaner and went and filled the tank with 91 octane. 2 days later the engine light turned off and hasnt came back since. In my opinion it makes a big difference in the performance and life of the truck. As much as it hurts to have to spend almost 4.00/gal I dont think I can do the lower octane in fear of something bad happening.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i never use anything less. when i first picked up my truck i didn't notice the label on the gas door that says super unleaded only or something like that so after i got done filling up with 87 n saw that label i'll never go back to doin that super octane all the way :chevy:

I have been running 87 octane for the past month since I bought the truck. 87 octane is $1.28 per liter. Costs me $120 to fill. I consistenly run 13L/100km doing 100-110km/hr. Or like 65mph for your guys. Ran 91 octane for a tank from a place that sells it alot. I have to drive 45 mins to get to 91 octane fuel that is fresh. It was $1.38 per liter. Cost me $60 for 43liters. Got 14-15L/100km. Was noticeable lower and never got any better mileage. Maybe my truck has a tune for lower octane or something? Oh well, I ordered a tune for 87 so I can be sure it will be safe running 87. I wish I was done university already to start modding this truck. But for the next 2 years it will be left as is.

I think someone else can confirm this, but the SS's came with a dual octane tune from the factory, so if you do go to 87 or 89 it's going to sense the knock and retard everything until it's gone. You won't do damage, but like many have said here, you will lose power and may lose mileage as well.

I have used both 87 and 89 in my truck (before the SC) and I noticed no physical or audible difference...I will say I did notice a loss of power. I didn't notice any loss of MPG but I was also dirving it easier since I did run the lower octane...You shouldn't notice a knock or pinging since the computer makes the adjustments to compensate.

periodically clean the MAF sensor, with MAF sensor cleaner.. noticed mine was running a little slugish and not shifting as normal..losing fuel economy also.. after it was clean it straightened right up and runs great.. gained the horse power back and fuel economy.

periodically clean the MAF sensor, with MAF sensor cleaner.. noticed mine was running a little slugish and not shifting as normal..losing fuel economy also.. after it was clean it straightened right up and runs great.. gained the horse power back and fuel economy.

:withstupid: Especially if you run an oil type air filter (K&N, Air Hog, etc). Or you can get one of the new dry flow filters and not have to clean it nearly as often.

well it wont hurt , thats why we have knock sensors . to retard timing so the pinging wont damage your motor. our trucks come with a low and high octane timing table. one for high grade like your recommended to use and one for lower grade. if it picks up conistant knock it will go into the low octane timing table. giving you less power but less ping. so yes you can run it, i wont just becasue i want the extra power. besides gas mileage may go down a bit with lower octane due to faster burn rate and less timing=less power=takes more power to propel the dam brick.