What Size Is The Exhaust On Ss Trucks?

Les Hall

Just wandering what size stock exhaust on SS trucks? Planning on getting new Mufflers,,any suggestions?

I've been looking into a couple of the round magnaflows,,I'm keeping the cats, & just want a good rumble without

any cab drone sound,,don't really want the flowmaster sound though,,Do magnaflows sound the same as flowmasters? & is an x-pipe worth putting on a stock truck?

Just wandering what size stock exhaust on SS trucks? Planning on getting new Mufflers,,any suggestions?

I've been looking into a couple of the round magnaflows,,I'm keeping the cats, & just want a good rumble without

any cab drone sound,,don't really want the flowmaster sound though,,Do magnaflows sound the same as flowmasters? & is an x-pipe worth putting on a stock truck?

i am pretty sure 2 1/2....like 95%....i like magnaflow....i had the shop put a H pipe in when they did the mufflers

The round Magnaflow is a good muffler, the longer ones perform just as well as the shorter ones too. The only other truck I heard and liked was the dual Magnaflows on Krambo's truck, and you already know they're good enough for high-11's :driving:

Mr. P. :)

• 1 year later...
I was looking at my exhaust an it is stock also my muffler has duak ins an dual outs then the pipes come together

then it goes to the tip is this normal

Yes, that is the stock configuration, and it appears that it is a dual out muffler but in reality it is only a single outlet, the second outlet pipe is a resonator pipe. If you're interested, here's a really old thread with pics of a stock muffler cut open.

Stock piping is actually 2.75 to the muffler and then 2.75 to 3.5 after the muffler at the tip.

2.75 is the O.D.

2.50 is the I.D.

Exhaust tubing is usually sized by the I.D., not the O.D......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Using a dual 3" inlet muffler would allow you to use a small piece of 3" to slip over the stock pipe and into the muffler inlet making a good transition and no restriction in pipe size. The OD of the exhaust inlets are 2.75" and the outlets are the same size, but as stated only one of the exits is actually flowing. That's crazy to me, what is the point of having all the healthy piping under the truck only to have it chocked down at one spot.