Will Lt Headers Pass Az Emissions

rzauner

Arizona people,

Looking at LT headers and was wondering if the truck will pass emissions? I have a GMC Vmax and soon will have the following mods;

Radix Supercharger

Dyno Tune

AirRaid CAI

and tranny mods.

I really dont want to install the headers if it wont pass emissions.

Thanks,

RichZ

Depends exactly where in AZ you live; I believe that Maricopa County uses CA emissions requirements down to the letter, and if that is the case then the factory catalytic converters *must* be present in the factory location; so your option would be the AZ Speed and Marine headers which are not a true long tube but still a great improvement over factory manifolds especially in a Radix application. OTOH if you are allowed to move the cats so long as they still light-off and work then you can use pretty much any long tube header as long as you keep the cats as close to the motor as possible.

Mr. P.

Depends exactly where in AZ you live; I believe that Maricopa County uses CA emissions requirements down to the letter, and if that is the case then the factory catalytic converters *must* be present in the factory location; so your option would be the AZ Speed and Marine headers which are not a true long tube but still a great improvement over factory manifolds especially in a Radix application. OTOH if you are allowed to move the cats so long as they still light-off and work then you can use pretty much any long tube header as long as you keep the cats as close to the motor as possible.

Mr. P.

well even though they dont move the cat , they are not carb approved which means no EO # and if they follow the emissions from that of ca, it needs to have a carb # .

or find yourself a friend at a smog shop.

well even though they dont move the cat , they are not carb approved which means no EO # and if they follow the emissions from that of ca, it needs to have a carb # . ...

Hmmm didn't think of that. I would give a call to AZ Speed and Marine, and see what they say. I KNOW that several GM truck dealers were selling these headers on new trucks - Chapman Chevrolet in Chandler for certain. So I'm going to guess and say The AZ Speed & Marine headers are smog-OK in the Phoenix area.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I do live in Maricopa county...I'll give AZ speed and marine a call. If their headers do have a EO#, are they any good?

thanks,

richz

They've kinda fallen out of vogue these last couple years but on a Radix app they are a very good piece, the only issue is that you need a muffler shop to cut & re-flange the factory mid-pipes just ahead of the catalytic converters. I also just remembered, Chapman is in Tempe, not Chandler... been a while since I was in PHX!

Mr. P. :)

mids will give you some gain but not as much as an lt. I do run the arizona speed and marine lt's i like them i do suggest buying copper gaskets for the flanges. Mine have already began to leak and havnt had them on that long. I have no cats at all so i know im not legal. We dont have a smog test here in ga.

for headers to head you want the gm mls gasket for sure. for the collector go with v band clamps they are the best and easiest to remove.

as far as i know i dont think bassani or dougs are carb legal on the tog's were but dont quote me.

Since your truck is new you will not be required to have it emission'd for at least 5 years. So you have that long to deal with it. As long as you have cats since they do a sight inspection. I don't think they look hard enough to see if they are stock or aftermarket as long as you have them. They will also do a sniffer test at idle and load. Your best bet is to call them and let them tell you what they require. Either that or register it outside of Maricopa county since the surrounding counties do not require testing. Good luck.