Trying To Plan A Vacation

04CHASE

im trying to put together a trip to either cabo or hawaii with my girl. im looking to stay for about 5-6 nights. im trying to put a package together with air fair and hotel. just trying to get ideas on where to go through to plan it or put together a package to get the best deal.

not sure where i want to go , anyone with any experience on these two places as i have never been. also things to do while there is appreciated. im trying to get a couple friends to go with us as well.

i know cabo will require passports which i need to get anyway.

any help/guidance is appreciated.

check out travelocity, and expedia and all those sites because they have really good deals on packages. ive been to both places, and it kind of depends on what you want to do on your trip. hawaii is going to be more expensive, but its just going to be really chill and relaxing. cabo or somewhere like cancun you're gonna be drinkin way more and goin out a lot. i would look into hotels that are all inclusive. everything is included, food, liquor, and they usually include like an atv ride or something. every hotel is different, but i would definetly say go all inclusive where ever you go.

Hey Chase ...

First and Foremost ... Yes ... Get yourself moving on those Passports. They're good for 10 years, so it is nice to have, before you are under the gun, trying to get them

You have chose two vacation extremes for Price. Hawaii is extremely expensive, where Mexico is fairly economical. Hawaii does have numerous activities, and sites to see. But being an island, everything is imported, so prices are sky-high. Mexico is techicnially on the mainland. Plus being Mexico, prices are cheaper.

I have traveled all over this world. Personally, I love the All-Inclusive deals. Transportation, Room, Food, Booze, Taxes, Most-Gratuities, Roomservice, non-motorized sports and other activites included for one price. They are a great value. They are know commonly as "Fly Away" vacations. Some really good sites to book these types of vacations through, are Apple Vacations or TNT Vacations or GWV Vacations (Apple Vac.).

Now here is a key to the All-Inclusive vacations. Book your time off from work first. Then wait until about 1.5-2 weeks before your vacation starts. Then start looking/calling these sites for their best deals. You can get some great trips for some short change. One trip I booked, was Boston to Cancun Mex. for only $720.00 USD, for a 7 night, all-inclusive deal (food, booze, transportation ... etc)!!!! I don't care who you are ... that is a great deal. Plus the rooms was big, the hotel was newer and clean. But we booked with under 2 weeks before departure.

Finally ... don't be affraid to use a travel agent. Do your homework online. Go in with an idea of what you want. Due to diminishing sales, due to the internet. They can offer you some extra help in booking. Plus they can call you when some really great last minute deals pop up. :thumbs:

Oh yeah ... do get the Traveler's Insurance. It usually runs about $100.00 per/person on a week long trip. Just extra piece of mind, incase you have to cancel at the last minute. That way you can get your money back. Also covers sickness and lost luggage.

And if you like Snorkling on the beach or on an excusion. Do yourself a favor ... Buy or own set of snorkling gear. I have bought my wife and I our own sets of Flippers, Goggles and Snorkles (with the one way flapper valve) and a carry case for about $100.00. Sure beats using a snorkle that, who knows how many people have had in their mouth. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ....

If your into the Eco Friendly tours ... Coasta Rica is up and coming in the All-Inclusive area, with the Rock climbing, Mountain Biking, Surfing, hiking ... etc ...

Anything else ... just call ....

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I agree with everything here, also needs to be stated.. watch out for the locals. Hawaii, they're assholes and hate 'mainlanders' and mexico is pretty shady (a buddys friends got on a bus to go to a bar and they dropped em off in a parking lot where cops beat them and took all their money and left them there) , so stick to the main strips!

thanks shaun that really helps .

im going to get going on the passports next week for sure.

i have had a few bad experiences in mexico but that so im not going to let that get me down.

im still undeceided on where to go . i think i really want somewhere where i can relax more and do more fun actvities like hawaii. i can go out and drink here if i want.

so im thinking hawaii may be a better choice.

id like to do things like hiking in the forest's, snorkeling would be cool , golf is always an option .

people that went to hawaii , what were some of the activites you had fun doing and what island did you go to?

I've been to Maui and Oahu. I found that Maui is more relaxed and a layed back island to be at while Oahu has more activities and places to go but is also more touristy.

Maui - We mostly just chilled at the beach everyday and hung out with the family, one day we drove the " The Road to Hana " which was awesome, runs along the east coast Maui which curves along many mountains and beaches. Even though the drive is very long and curvy, the beautiful waterfalls and black sand beaches are well worth it. Haleakala National Park is great for sunrises. You can go snorkling at most places in Maui so it wouldn't be hard to find a good spot there if you ask some locals or hotel you're staying at.

Oahu - Has a lot more activities, everyday was a blast when we went there but towards the end of the vacation you get pretty beat from doing stuff so it's nice to still be in hawaii and kick it on the beach. My favorite thing while at Oahu was visiting Pearl Harbor, the humbling experience was breathtaking and was a very touching expirience. There is a great place to snorkle at called Hanauma Bay, it was amazing on the fish you can see and the water is breath taking. We also got to see a pack of seaturtles. That's definently a spot to hit if you go there. North Shore is a sweet spot to go to seeing the surf there is amazing. Just if your not a pro at surfing, don't go out. I bet you know that ;). While on your way to North Shore, you can see the Dole Pinnaple Plantation which is pretty cool. They have a maze and various Pinnaple stuff. Polynesian Cultural Center was fun, you could see the differen't cultures of the pacific and they have great shows featuring all the cultures and also they have luow. Waikiki was the place to go, it's got some nice clubs and basically the hot spot of night. Diamond Head was a hike we wen't on that was ***** brutal but worth it 100%. The view was amazing and you get to see all of the island from up there. One of the more memoriable activities while at Oahu. If you go, you will understand how hard it is, but I've seen families with kids on it so it's not that crazy.

And there is golf on both islands but never got the chance to play.

Well that was my .03 cents .

Hope you enjoy your trip Chase. :)

Edited by BretSS (see edit history)

thanks bret that really helps i think oahu would work best for me, i have alot of energy so those activities sound fun . im just a sissy when it comes to going in the water.

quote name='nxtnlne' date='May 11 2008, 11:59 AM' post='516453']

If your a AAA member you can talk to a travel agent there and get your passports for cheap!!

with as many times ive broken the truck i have the platinum membership at AAA , i ran out of tow's last year though.

i will try them and see if they can help.

I also have been to both Hawaii and Mexico and had bad experience in Mexico. But I Have found my best price on line with Expedia.com leaving in the middle of the week for the best price. We go every year in November before the holidays and its not crowded. We stay in Oahu and at the Hawaii Hilton Village Resort.

Clay

Hey Chase ...

First and Foremost ... Yes ... Get yourself moving on those Passports. They're good for 10 years, so it is nice to have, before you are under the gun, trying to get them

You have chose two vacation extremes for Price. Hawaii is extremely expensive, where Mexico is fairly economical. Hawaii does have numerous activities, and sites to see. But being an island, everything is imported, so prices are sky-high. Mexico is techicnially on the mainland. Plus being Mexico, prices are cheaper.

I have traveled all over this world. Personally, I love the All-Inclusive deals. Transportation, Room, Food, Booze, Taxes, Most-Gratuities, Roomservice, non-motorized sports and other activites included for one price. They are a great value. They are know commonly as "Fly Away" vacations. Some really good sites to book these types of vacations through, are Apple Vacations or TNT Vacations or GWV Vacations (Apple Vac.).

Now here is a key to the All-Inclusive vacations. Book your time off from work first. Then wait until about 1.5-2 weeks before your vacation starts. Then start looking/calling these sites for their best deals. You can get some great trips for some short change. One trip I booked, was Boston to Cancun Mex. for only $720.00 USD, for a 7 night, all-inclusive deal (food, booze, transportation ... etc)!!!! I don't care who you are ... that is a great deal. Plus the rooms was big, the hotel was newer and clean. But we booked with under 2 weeks before departure.

Finally ... don't be affraid to use a travel agent. Do your homework online. Go in with an idea of what you want. Due to diminishing sales, due to the internet. They can offer you some extra help in booking. Plus they can call you when some really great last minute deals pop up. :thumbs:

Oh yeah ... do get the Traveler's Insurance. It usually runs about $100.00 per/person on a week long trip. Just extra piece of mind, incase you have to cancel at the last minute. That way you can get your money back. Also covers sickness and lost luggage.

And if you like Snorkling on the beach or on an excusion. Do yourself a favor ... Buy or own set of snorkling gear. I have bought my wife and I our own sets of Flippers, Goggles and Snorkles (with the one way flapper valve) and a carry case for about $100.00. Sure beats using a snorkle that, who knows how many people have had in their mouth. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ....

If your into the Eco Friendly tours ... Coasta Rica is up and coming in the All-Inclusive area, with the Rock climbing, Mountain Biking, Surfing, hiking ... etc ...

Anything else ... just call ....

yeah i'd listen to shuan, it seems like he is always planning his next get away. mel and i are looking at jamaica packages

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

yeah i'd listen to shuan, it seems like he is always planning his next get away. mel and i are looking at jamaica packages

:withstupid:

LOL ... Thanks Alan ... BTW ... Call if you want info on Jamacia ...

I love my job ... I got more time off then I know what to do with ... :thumbs::thumbs:

(chatroom around 21:30 - EST.)

:withstupid:

LOL ... Thanks Alan ... BTW ... Call if you want info on Jamacia ...

I love my job ... I got more time off then I know what to do with ... :thumbs::thumbs:

(chatroom around 21:30 - EST.)

sorry i missed ya. if i ditched my mom for chat on mothers day, i'd be an ass.

when i went to maui, i went snorkeling, parasailing, scuba diving, windsurfing and a lot of just lounging around at the beach or the pool. great place for relaxing and enjoying the scenery

I literally got back from oahu early this morning... It was my second time and I've never been to cabo but hawaii rocks... Skydiving, hiking, swimming with sharks, beach, scuba, it was sick! I stayed with a friend who goes to college there so she a lot of the not so touristy places to eat and go! But it is definetly some money to do all that, but hawaii is sweet :thumbs: