Drl Question

is there anyway that you can have the DRL's on all the time, and disable the AUtomatic headlights?? because i dont really like the AUTO-On feature that my 99 5.3 has, since i have 6k fogs, i'd be pretty sik to turn on my truck at night and when i put it in gear i see my silverstars come on :D , has anyone done this to their tRuck, can it be done?? thanks -Cheo

and from the other thread about this exact topic

rpss4844

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Today, 07:14 AM Post #13

SS Newbie

Group: Member

Member No.: 13215

this is very easy to accomplish. simply remove the radio and remove the ambient light sensor located on top of the dash, it looks like a small opaque dome and will just twist out. once removed unplug the sensor and run a small piece of wire between the two connection points on the plug. tape it all up and just leave in the dash. replace the dome back in the hole if desired so there wont be a small hole in the dash.

the result of this will be that the DRL will be on continuos when the truck is in gear. you will have to manually turn on and off the headlights. Mine has been this way for about 6 months and no problems.

This post has been edited by rpss4844: Today, 07:16 AM

Sounds cool.

I really hate how the headlights come on when I'm starting the SS in the early am or pm I also like the idea of the DRL's staying on with the headlgihts in the evening or just the DRL's in the Dusk times where headlights are not needed quite yet. (Old School, Crusing lights)

Let us know how it goes cheo

On my truck to turn the drl's off I just have to turn the knob all the way to the left and then theres a light that comes on. I would say if you want drl's I would just turn on the ambers and that will kill the headlights, at least it does on my truck.

On my truck to turn the drl's off I just have to turn the knob all the way to the left and then theres a light that comes on. I would say if you want drl's I would just turn on the ambers and that will kill the headlights, at least it does on my truck.

Same whit my truck.

so i did wat the instructions indicated me to do, wen i was removing the little dome thing i pulled iut out wit some pliers it came off, so i got some scisssors and i guess i got a lil bit excited and i ended up cutting the wires frm the sensor :banghead::banghead::banghead::cry2::cry2: so i had to re wire the sensor bak to the wires, i did that but in the forum posted it says put wire in between?? at does that mean? wat kind of wire?? i hope i can still do it, if not is there an alternate way into doing what i wan2 do??? maybe some way into tricking the computer that its day time all th time??? plz help mE!! =[ =\

:=[

so i did wat the instructions indicated me to do, wen i was removing the little dome thing i pulled iut out wit some pliers it came off, so i got some scisssors and i guess i got a lil bit excited and i ended up cutting the wires frm the sensor :banghead::banghead::banghead::cry2::cry2: so i had to re wire the sensor bak to the wires, i did that but in the forum posted it says put wire in between?? at does that mean? wat kind of wire?? i hope i can still do it, if not is there an alternate way into doing what i wan2 do??? maybe some way into tricking the computer that its day time all th time??? plz help mE!! =[ =\

:=[

any kind of jumper will work. a small non insulated paper clip is my fave jumper. just place each end of the paper clip into the terminals and tape it all up. if you want to get fancy you can make a jumper out of actual wire and a couple seal-a-crimp single prong connectors.

pretty much like this (this picture is not of the sensor connector we are talking about, just a reference picture):

FuelPump2.jpg

if i can get into a car i can start it without a key by using jumpers, i have a neat little kit in my tool box for this very thing.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

...this is very easy to accomplish. simply remove the radio and remove the ambient light sensor located on top of the dash, it looks like a small opaque dome and will just twist out. once removed unplug the sensor and run a small piece of wire between the two connection points on the plug. tape it all up and just leave in the dash. replace the dome back in the hole if desired so there wont be a small hole in the dash.

the result of this will be that the DRL will be on continuos when the truck is in gear. you will have to manually turn on and off the headlights. Mine has been this way for about 6 months and no problems.

This post has been edited by rpss4844: Today, 07:16 AM

may need a how-to

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

if i can get into a car i can start it without a key by using jumpers, i have a neat little kit in my tool box for this very thing.

Damn Alan that doesnt sound shady at all.....lOL J/K

I pulled the DRL fuse in mine and all I have to do is turn that knob to the left if my headlights come on and it kills them..

Damn Alan that doesnt sound shady at all.....lOL J/K

I pulled the DRL fuse in mine and all I have to do is turn that knob to the left if my headlights come on and it kills them..

my brothers car was broken into and almost taken. i had to jump the ignition switch because they damaged the tumbler and could not be started with the key....saved him a tow bill.