Centerline Forged Wheels - Polished Versus Chrome

Well I've been thinking about doing some new wheels since mine aren't perfect anymore. I was thinking of going with some centerline wheels but want some info on the polished and chrome wheels.

1.) Is is possible to repair the chrome or polished wheels if they happen to get some curb rash or scratches?

2.) I assume the chrome centerline wheels are easier to keep clean. Is this true?

I don't mind cleaning my wheels but i don't have a garage anymore so the truck is exposed to weather evey day now. I want some nice light wheels that can go for 2-3 weeks without needing to be cleaned. I know I've seen people with polished wheels be able to fix scratches and such but is that possible with the chromed centerline wheels? Weather is KY can be rough on wheels.

3.) Should I just get some 22" rims since I already have the tires or should I just get a new set of 20" rims/tires? I know the 20's are lighter but 22's just look better to me.

Any and all input would be great!!

Thanks, Jeremy

Get the 22's since you already have the tires, the Centerline 22's w/ 22" tires usually end-up weighing about the same as the stock cast 20's + Goodyears. :thumbs: The uncoated wheels will tarnish in no time, and are *far* more succeptible to pitting and damage by road salt & mineral deposits, so (cheap) get them coated in Zoop Seal or (more expensive) get them in chrome. Yes the chrome wheels are far easier to clean, just remember that Centerline chrome finish is "show chrome" not "hard chrome" so you have to wash and treat them right (use brake dust/wheel cleaner, then soapy wool mitt, then blow dry or use microfiber towell) or they'll start to microscratch & dull on you. AFA wheel repair, as long as the damage is superficial raw aluminum is pretty easy to sand & refinish, and you can do that with the chrome wheels too but they of course would have to be rechromed; the nice thing is that since Centerline makes every wheel to order you can have them reproduce a replacement at pretty much anytime.

Mr. P. :)

If you go with Forged Wheels (which Centerlines are) go with the polished ones. Chrome is not known to stick to a forged wheel very well due to the tight physical structure of the metal. It does not have anything to grab onto in order to properly adhere to the wheel.

They are a pain to clean compared to chrome, but are easier to repair, and being forged, and having the denser physical properties, they will actually be easier to keep clean than a cast polished wheel.

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

Clearcoat tends to peel and/or fade/yellow with age. I would rather wipe down my wheels at every wash and polish them a couple of times a year than have to worry about yellowing/fading of clearcoat.

I've got two sets of the Centerline rotory forged wheels and they stay polished pretty dang well, even through daily driving in midwest winters.

i have foose wheels and i love them they are easy to keep clean and i polish them about every 2 months and when i polish em they shine like nothin else

Foose wheels are chrome plated Cast Aluminum. They will shine, but are Very Heavy, and I heard of people having chrome peeling issues.

my foose wheels dont seem to be much heavier than the stock wheels and tires and i havent had any issues with chrome peeling knock on wood but it personal preference with what you like

watch the Velocity rims... this center line soo nice, but more people take center line, i don't know something is better than so common... it's a comment..

ok i type bad but at least you can make out what im saying , i have no idea wtf you are trying to say . please re phrase.

btw i have polished dagger 18 x 9.5 centerlines. i just got them so they look amazing , they wont see much road use since they are strictly drag wheels.

It seems like polished is the way to go but I worry about pitting issues because of the crappy weather around here. That's one reason I was leaning toward the chrome centerline wheels. But I don't want to run into peeling issues and if it's easier to repair the polished wheels then that's great.

EDIT: I'm leaning towards the 22's but found a good deal on the 20's right now(ULTRA SERIES - STINGRAY III) I can get these polished in 20" for $179 a rim. I'll have to buy tires but at $716 for the rims I'll probably end up paying around $1,200 total. Plus they are lighter :devil:

I've already got 22" tires so for 22's I'm looking at $1,076 for the rims. All prices are before S&H as far as I can tell.

It's very tempting to get the 20's since I would have a complete extra set of wheels to switch out come winter time instead of switching tires on the 22's twice a year and run the risk of the shop messing up my polished rims.

Edited by SSThunder (see edit history)

ok i type bad but at least you can make out what im saying , i have no idea wtf you are trying to say . please re phrase.

btw i have polished dagger 18 x 9.5 centerlines. i just got them so they look amazing , they wont see much road use since they are strictly drag wheels.

hes new from mexico, be patient, hes trying.

watch the Velocity rims... this center line soo nice, but more people take center line, i don't know something is better than so common... it's a comment..

"Ventrue, you got some splainin' to do"

cu1satullo22a.JPG

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

my foose wheels dont seem to be much heavier than the stock wheels and tires and i havent had any issues with chrome peeling knock on wood but it personal preference with what you like

Anything as heavy as, or heavier than stock, is terrible.