Belltech Street Performance Shocks

haul@ss

Apparently the Belltech Street Performance shocks were on back order for some time now. I was lucky enough to find a guy on craigslist that had initially ordered them for his SS but couldn't wait so he just installed some Nitro Drop 2's. I got a hold of Eric (beardog) at Belltech and he was awesome in answering my questions and helping me confirm the part numbers I needed.

Front 310400

Rear 2212FF

I received the shocks yesterday and got right to them. I had to wait a week but seven days is a lot shorter than seven months haha :lol:

On to the Install (Sorry, no pix because my camera is no where to be found):

Keep in mind I'm no mechanic so some of the terms I use may be incorrect haha

I started off doing the rears first. Install was pretty straight forward and idiot proof like Chase said before with just 4 bolts and nuts to work with. Due to lack of space for the top mounts, I used a crescent wrench to hold the nuts and a 21mm socket to remove the bolts. The bottom shock mounts are the same for all four corners, easy to install/uninstall with plenty of space to maneuver your tools. Do not throw away the stock bolts and nuts as you will be reusing them for the new shocks. Like stated before, do not cut the straps on the new shocks until you are ready to install. What I did first was install the top part, then I cut the strap. As the shock slowly extended out, I lined up the bottom eye of the shock with the lower mount and inserted the bolt and tightened everything up. Pretty simple! :thumbsup:

The fronts were a bit more complicated as I expected, but nothing too difficult. You don't HAVE to remove your front wheels but I found it easer to work with all the extra wheel well space and the plastic is flexible enough so you can get your hands under them. Tip: Don't jack the truck up too high because the shocks are really short and may not reach the mounts. I removed the top bolt first. You will need a 15mm deep socket to remove the top nut. If you are using hand tools, you will need an open end wrench or something to hold the shock still while you remove the nut. If you have access to an impact wrench or air ratchet, you can use little hits and the nut should loosen up pretty easily.

(Note: the driver side is a bit more of a hassle as there are some objects in the line of space you need to get power tools in. I would suggest using a really long extension.)

The bottom parts are pretty straight forward again, the same 21mm nuts and bolts.

When installing the new shocks, you will need a 17mm deep socket because the supplied nuts are bigger. I suggest doing the bottom part first. This way, when you tighten the top mount nut, it will automatically cause the shock to compress and pull the control arm up. There isn't any space to use a torque wrench so I just tightened the nut until the bushing was about the same width as the washer. After this, install and tighten the second supplied nut to lock everything in place. Again, pretty simple! :thumbsup:

Overall, the install was very simple. An experienced mechanic can do all four corners in less than an hour. If you're a total newb to suspension like me, everything can be done in less than two hours.

Initial Ride Impressions

The ride is noticeably more firm than stock. The new shocks decrease shaking when going over rough and somewhat bumpy roads. When going over speed bumps with a little more speed or stopping quickly, the front end doesn't nose dive as much and is actually controlled pretty well. I have yet to launch the truck to check the "squat" but I'll let you all know soon. As for cornering, this thing rocks! I can take mild curves at over 50mph with barely, if any, body roll. The shocks do a great job of transferring the weight from the high side to low side, making it it feel ALMOST like a sports car haha.

Overall, the truck is still no Corvette, but a definite improvement over stock. I expected the truck to drive like ass with the 22's and it did at first, but the Street Performance shocks smooth it out considerably. I get a vibration at certain speeds but that is due to my alignment. I'll update as I get more miles on the shocks and get my alignment fixed.

The new Belltech application guide shows that these part numbers are good for a 2"-4" drop in the front and 2"-4" drop in the rear but from what I noticed, the rears MIGHT be too short for just a 2" drop. The Streets are considerably shorter than the stocks so they are definitely not for stock height trucks.

These are just my suggestions and opinions. I may be incorrect about something so if you feel otherwise about something, please do chime in and give your inputs :D

I'll be happy to answer any questions :cheers:

Edited by haul@ss (see edit history)

Nice write up! If you haven't already, you might want to look into the Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links. They improve the handling even more, and are not expensive, in the $40 range.

Nice write up! If you haven't already, you might want to look into the Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings and end links. They improve the handling even more, and are not expensive, in the $40 range.

Thanks I'll look into them! About how difficult is the install?

Thanks I'll look into them! About how difficult is the install?

Not too hard. If your truck is like most of ours, you'll have to use the original bolts and end caps, since they are a tad longer than the bolts in the kit. Here's a link to a LONG post detailing a lot of the information.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...hl=polyurethane

I also have the part numbers in "My Garage".

This is for stock height suspension, or for a lowered truck?

Mr. P. :)

Front 310400

Rear 2212FF

The new Belltech application guide shows that these part numbers are good for a 2"-4" drop in the front and 2"-4" drop in the rear but from what I noticed, the rears MIGHT be too short for just a 2" drop. The Streets are considerably shorter than the stocks so they are definitely not for stock height trucks.

EDIT: I copy/pasted this info from the original post.

Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)

Front 310400

Rear 2212FF

EDIT: I copy/pasted this info from the original post.

I ordered my belltech street performance shocks three weeks ago from stylin trucks and have yet to see them,hope it doesn't drag on too long.

um.. good luck because i've heard of some people waiting 6-8 months for em haha

Not too hard. If your truck is like most of ours, you'll have to use the original bolts and end caps, since they are a tad longer than the bolts in the kit. Here's a link to a LONG post detailing a lot of the information.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...hl=polyurethane

I also have the part numbers in "My Garage".

cool thanks bro