so my truck is 2wd dont laught at me lol. im wanting to chande my ring and pinion gears. just wanted to know if any of yall have done this and what kind of problems or wich ratio to go with. my engine is stock but im looking for a supercharger also. all i have done so far is put flowmasters on it. looking for a little help thanks dood's. :jester:

so my truck is 2wd dont laught at me lol. im wanting to chande my ring and pinion gears. just wanted to know if any of yall have done this and what kind of problems or wich ratio to go with. my engine is stock but im looking for a supercharger also. all i have done so far is put flowmasters on it. looking for a little help thanks dood's. :jester:

Welcome, nice to have another Washington SS. I dont know much about gearing so good luck with any info :cheers:

Welcome, nice to have another Washington SS. I dont know much about gearing so good luck with any info :cheers:

yes its awsome. im just so bored around here. ive seen other sss but they seem to be stuck up. i would love to get all the sss in the area together just for the hell of it. im in the ft. lewis area in the army. give me a shout bro. i need to learn my way around. :cheers:

well a few things to look at. stock gearing is 3.73 and you said you wanted to go FI, well you will have a hard time with traction if you get lower gears (4.10, 4.56). but 4.10's would be a great improvement. there is a member on here with 4.56 and he has a hard time hooking up

Even if you are gonna go FI or stay NA, I would leave well enough alone. I have a problem hooking up with a 3.73 and my motor is stock internally, can't imagine what it will be like with a lower gear. With some bolt on mods, you will have excellent top end power with the stock 3.73 rear, mine pulls really hard up top, I trap damn near 97mph in the 1/4 mile. A lower gear like a 4.10 will get you out of the hole better but will kill your top end power.

:chevy:

For me being one who has a 2wd and 4.56 gears I would wait on gears until you determine your future setup. If your gonna go with a centrifugal style blower and a big converter, shorter gears would work well. otherhand, with a roots type blower you wont want that extra gear with the lowend torque its going to give you.

i somewhat disagree with Dan as far as the numbers. we have very similar setups and my 60 ft is worse than his even with drag radials but i trap even higher at almost 99 mph because im much higher in the powerband crossing the traps.

for what its worth my future plans of a big cam and possibly an 80E with a long first gear were part of the reasoning i went with 4.56's instead of 4.10's. But for all around performance gain a set of 4.10;s would probably be the way to go.

thanks guy for all the advice. i guess ill just wait to see what set up im going with be for i make the change. i really would hate to loose traction its hard enough now when the road is wet. :uhoh:

Edited by mcmahan (see edit history)