Regular To Ss (conversion)...?

Tomâs Z

Hey guys,

I'm new here (don't own an SS...yet) and just got a 2000 GMC sierra as my first car. It's the 292 Vortec (V8 of course) ext cab. Anyway, I'm looking (still contemplating) to convert it to an SS starting with the exterior. I've been searching for the past week for a conversion kit but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I don't mind buying part-by-part, but I figured it'd be easier to do it all at once. But even now, I can't seem to find an SS bumper, roll pan, grille, hood etc. that will fit a 2000 :( . I know they exist because I've seen a few. Price is not an issue at all. I've got a few K that I've been saving up for the past few years of highschool. I have found the rims and plan on putting in an order tomorrow or the day after. So right now, I'm in search of the above listed exterior parts. Anyone have some links to sites that would have this stuff?

Any/all help is appreciated :D

P.S. under the hood and interior will most likely be my grad present.

please try not to buy stolen parts. I know its hard to tell if they are stolen or not, but having my truck stolen twice so someone can clone their truck pisses me off. Good luck on your convertion and lets see some pictures of the truck now as she sits.

Thanks for the replies. And, I won't be buying stolen parts. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. I'll send a PM to time2kill.

I'm kinda embarrassed to post pictures. It's sitting on the original 16's and they look like crap. I won't be putting the SS emblems either. In my opinion that's wrong because it wouldn't be a real SS. But what the heck, I'll put some pics in a bit.

Thanks again.

so you want to go from gmc front end to silverado front end? well all the sheel metal bolts on, you gotta get the bumper brackets for the front bumper to bolt on. im not 100% sure about the ss cover, im pretty sure it slides over the regular silverado one. i havent been able to get anyone to confirm it.

and with the side cladding it double side tape and clips on. i havent been able to figure out how many peices there are, ive read 8, but that doesnt make sense as in which panels get it and which dont.

not sure about the rear bumper.

good luck and take pics, im sure to do this when i get a full size some day

Ur going to need several "K" just for the side molding and bumpers!! Then the 20" wheels... :eek:

Is ur interior the Light Pewter Grey already? As that will help some. The SS guages can be found on Ebay. Are u talking about installing a 6.0L engine under the hood? (that would be cool too).

please try not to buy stolen parts. I know its hard to tell if they are stolen or not, but having my truck stolen twice so someone can clone their truck pisses me off. Good luck on your convertion and lets see some pictures of the truck now as she sits.

:withstupid: yup same here. . . . .anywho its gonna cost a few grand used (+/-3k) to get the full on kit to convert your full front end and full cladding with paint.

Hey again,

Nope, interior is just plain ole' blue (frabric) :(

Shoot, you really think it'll cost that much for the front end, Bowtie??

Like I said, price really isn't an issue...I just didn't know it could cost that.

Oh, and as crazy as it sounds, my friend and I are looking at converting to E-Power :D

Most likely a similar set-up to that of the Ronaele mustangs that have come out. Only 300 ponies, but about 1,000 lbs/ft of torque! Aye Caramba! And if not that, maybe just an LS1 or a like a 383. Too many decisions :rolleyes:

But hey, I'm still having a little trouble finding a place that carries the outer parts I'm in search of. Should I just look for an after-market hood? Being the 2000 series, it has the ugly bubbly hood that actually goes down in the middle which is the COMPLETE opposite of what a hot-rod's hood should look like.

P.S. I work at Discount Tire and got the meanest hook-up on the rims and tires (mean street tread!).

To be honest it would be cheaper to sell your truck and buy a real SS. Their's a member on here from Texas selling his blue ss. Just a tought.

Save yourself the hassle and use that money on a down for a used SS!!

I (in all honesty) would rather do that but my parents won't let me. I am 18 and legally can do so, but my parents haven't granted me permission and they said if I am going to buy a car/truck it must $10K or cheaper...no exceptons. Basically meaning if I see a GREAT deal on a car/truck and it's $10,500...I can't get it :( They don't want me to go off to college having to worry about payments.

To be honest it would be cheaper to sell your truck and buy a real SS. Their's a member on here from Texas selling his blue ss. Just a tought.

Another thought is that you'll never get back all of the $$$ that you put into it. If that's a consideration, then a good used (or as Cadillac used to say, "previously owned") SS would probably be a better bet.

I have done the full exterior clone to my 2005 Silverado. I have gotten majority of the cladding from a member on this forum and the front and rear bumpers from Ebay. Also have the same idea about the "SS" emblems so I never put them on.

If I had to do it again, I probably won't because it gets very expensive if you don't know someone who has used parts for it. Best of luck on whatever you decide.