What Are You Doing?

kaotik1

With the higher demand for green energys, the rising cost of fuels, higher prices at the food store. What are you doing to offset the cost?

Most of us have stopped driving the truck and picked up a beater for mileage reasons, but fueling that has doubled in the last few months.

Do you stop eating to fuel up?

Do you now carpool?

Do you use green bulbs?

Replaced windows for more efficent ones?

Just picking all your brains this is something that came up the other day and I wanted to see who was doing their share. This is not about who's fault this is, or gas is "X" amout in my area, this is to see whats being done.

After all as for gas prices the U.S. still pays far less than most other countires.

Well, I didn't do anything but my new condo that I bought is a "green" home and the difference in energy cost compared to say my Mom's 1970's built home is very significant. I do my part to leave the air and the lights off but let's just say that my electtrical bill is $47 when hers is over $100 per month. I have also worked harder on racing sponsorship and cut back some events just to save money to spend at the pump!

I have done the following....

replaced all light bulbs with energy efficient light bulbs

shut lights and other un-essential things off when not in use

try not to drive as much(yeah right)

shop in bulk at BJs or Costco to save a few $$$

make sure truck is properly maintained and has proper tire pressure(as always)

re-caulked all windows/doors and other openings to keep energy loss to a minimum

I also plan on replacing the 20 year old air conditioner I have with a new energy efficient model.....

Yep, we shop at Costco (bulk) alot more than we used to.

Also am in the process of replacing my homes Central AC unit.

The one that is there is a bout 25yrs old piece of crap and never stops running.

This Can't be good for the elec bills.

Also thinking of putting in a tankless water heater too. I hate heating water when I don't need it.

I live a very green life anyways, I only take the trash can to the curb once a month. My utilities are really low. But this year the A/C at my house did not make it through the winter, the compressor froze so I've had all the windows in the house open and using ceiling fans, saved $150 off last month's power bill. But now that it's getting hot I'm getting it fixed!

ALSO HERE'S A BIG TIP :D If you have an electric hot water heater, get a hot water heater timer. It is easy to wire and will pay for itself in 1-2 months, in my case since I'm never home it saves me $50-60 a month in electricity because the timer only lets the not water heater get electricity between 5am and 9am, then again at 5pm to 10pm. My savings could also be so high becase I got a crappy hot water heater :laugh: so your savings will vary but hot water heater timers are a HUGE help.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

well since my truck will be paid off in a few months... i am in the market for a 4 banger... i'm looking at the mazda3, but i'm not settled on it yet especially if I can find a used cheap car... other than that I just try and turn things off when they don't absolutely need to be on, run to the gym instead of drive, and hunt for bargains.

I'm only using the SS on weekends. We use my wife's Forester the rest of the time. I turn off whatever we're not using. And we also replaced all of our windows, as was mentioned above. That'll take a while to pay for itself!

work has helped me. i drive a ford f 450 powerstroke home most of the time now . so i leave the camaro and truck parked . the company pays for the diesel on it so that helps me.

I used to go to the gym everyday after work, which is about a 15 mile round trip so I stopped that and just use my crappy home weights. I barely leave the island I live on except for weekends and my trip to work is only like 2 miles so I dont use much gas anymore. The truck is the only vehicle I have and I cant afford insurance for another car or Id buy a beater. I might get a motorcycle if I can find a cheap one thats not too embarassing to ride around. I really want to fix all the air leaks in my house but Im renting now and I dotn want to waste a bunch of money fixing it up

I used to go to the gym everyday after work, which is about a 15 mile round trip so I stopped that and just use my crappy home weights. I barely leave the island I live on except for weekends and my trip to work is only like 2 miles so I dont use much gas anymore. The truck is the only vehicle I have and I cant afford insurance for another car or Id buy a beater. I might get a motorcycle if I can find a cheap one thats not too embarassing to ride around. I really want to fix all the air leaks in my house but Im renting now and I dotn want to waste a bunch of money fixing it up

I havent changed anything but for what its worth i get a 20 percent discount on my insurance by having more than one car on the same policy so that its actually cheaper to own a beater than not as far as insurance is concerned. pretty sure most insurance companies give multiple car discounts as well.

I havent changed anything but for what its worth i get a 20 percent discount on my insurance by having more than one car on the same policy so that its actually cheaper to own a beater than not as far as insurance is concerned. pretty sure most insurance companies give multiple car discounts as well.

Yeah I pay less for insurance now with a beater then I did with just the truck on there. I think mine is because the beater is listed as my primary driver.

Other then that I find myself skipping out on a lot more day trips that I would have normally taken even at last summers prices.

I'm selling my truck, as our main goal right now is to work towards being debt free. As far as the house, we use as little light as we need, and I'm going to re-caulk all the windows/doors for now. Eventually I'd like to add some solar panels to cut our bill down some.

I also don't drive quite as much as I did last year. When we do go places we take the van, and I drive much more light footed.

Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

Uh, I built a big cammed, heavy breathing nitrous motor for the SS. ...Should help. :uhoh::jester:

Actually, for my home I was very energy minded when building. I have a family of 4 with a 3,000ft2 home and rarely does my electric bill go over $80 (in the summer it will $100 with the A/C). I have an electric 3 element 80 gal hot water heater to boot. Not to mention that the kids and wife are growing fond of the hot tub as of late.

Anyway, I just ordered three, 18' silver ash trees and two 12' Redbuds that will be placed strategically in my property. They should help keep the house cool in the summer and still let in the sun in the winter. :cheers:

As for daily pinching, I really haven't changed anything.

Good topic. I am making progress with cutting down my energy consumption.

- Taking it easy on the throttle. I try no to bring the RPM's above 2,000 since than I have been averaging 14mpg rather than 12.9mph (in town).

- Taking shorter/smarter routes to work and other errands.

- Got rid of my Reverse Osmosis water filter (this was a HUGE water "waster")

- Cutting down on garbage waste. Not using plastic/paper plates, using less paper towels etc..