Throttle Body Butterfly

I just bought my Sierra Vortec Max with 34k. How often do you clean the throttle body and what is the best way to clean it? I'm a newbie, any help would be greatly apprecaited...

I like to use throttle body cleaner and a old tooth brush, just push the throttle plate open with your finder and hold it open then spray around the bore of the throttle body and let is soak for a minute then soak the tooth brush with cleaner and scrub the throttle body then spray down the trottle body to rinse away all the crap. Usually you clean it every 15k to 20k depending on what type of filter you use. It's a good idea to spray off the little coils in your Mass Air Flow sensor too while you at it.

Edited by kisthisSS (see edit history)

I like to use throttle body cleaner and a old tooth brush, just push the throttle plate open with your finder and hold it open then spray around the bore of the throttle body and let is soak for a minute then soak the tooth brush with cleaner and scrub the throttle body then spray down the trottle body to rinse away all the crap. Usually you clean it every 15k to 20k depending on what type of filter you use. It's a good idea to spray off the little coils in your Mass Air Flow sensor too while you at it.

Just don't use the TB cleaner to clean the MAF, rather, use a residue free electric contacts/sensor cleaner. CRC makes a good one that you can pick up at almost any parts store.

Just don't use the TB cleaner to clean the MAF, rather, use a residue free electric contacts/sensor cleaner. CRC makes a good one that you can pick up at almost any parts store.

Good point I forgot to mention that small detail :thumbs: