Pyrometer

04CHASE

has anyone thought about using a pyrometer? i was thinking of putting one near the head on # 7 especially for nitrous tuning just becasue this is known to be the leanest cylinder.

disuss

I was under the impression that a pyrometer was in the exhuast on turbo cars and trucks?

it is.

what it does is tell you egt's , it will report similar conditions as far as afr. but even with a safe afr your temps can get hot and this is where a pyrometer can save you . it is more common on diesels because they run boost more than gas motor do .

but it is not un heard of on a gas boosted motor. and it would be smart to have it on the leanest of all cylinders.

My only question is how fast do they react? It only takes a second to go lean enough to go pop.

just as fast as a wideband . or they can but just like a wideband you have to make sure the afr is safe before you start doing wot tuning.

#7 would most likely be the hottest cylider and plug read the rest. I know it only takes a sec to go lean and burn stuff up but its nice to know where your at right now good or bad so you can make adjustments. With boost and NO2 it would be a good investment along side you wideband. If you want to go all out Altronics RA-KIT.

i would think you would need to have two probes on two different cylinders to get an idea of the difference rather than the average temp.

:withstupid: Reading on one cylinder isn't as important as a variation reading.

If you're really concerned about that one cylinder, I'd weld a bung into that primary and run another wideband vs a pyrometer. They were much more prevalent in the gas tuning world before the advent of the inexpensive wideband.